Removing tile that's been installed over existing tile

Old 03-19-18, 08:03 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Removing tile that's been installed over existing tile

My powder room (about 7' x 8') looks to have had tile installed over the original floor (which I assume was tile, but not sure, as this was all done before we bought the house). The current floor is now flush with the door saddle. Therefore, even if I wanted to, I can't tile/install laminate over the existing floor.

Compared to normal tile removal, any idea how much of a nightmare it would be to rip up the existing floor?

I assume this is going to be beyond a DIY for myself, but even before I start getting estimates I want to see your thoughts.

Thank you!

Old 03-19-18, 11:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
This is absolutely DIY and something you should do before you install another layer anyway.

As to details, that's hard to answer without knowing what's actually there.

Old 03-19-18, 05:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
My guess is that the original tile was applied over a cement mudbed with a mosaic tile pattern over it. You can remove both layers of tile, but it will be messy/dusty and involve a bit of muscle power or "sweat equity" as they call it. You will need a demo hammer which is a hammer drill that hammers only without spinning and a tile bit. You hold the bit at an low angle and pop the tiles off. You will need to remove both layers down to the mudbed which you can patch and tile over again. Dust control is the biggest issue. If you have a window in the bathroom, put a box fan in the window blowing outside, crack a window on the other side of the house and close the door until it is just a 1/2" open. This should channel the dust out the window and not into the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: