How to attach bead board or panel to foam insulation?

Old 03-29-18, 03:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to attach bead board or panel to foam insulation?

Hi.

Remodeling a small bathroom in the basement and want to attach either panel or beadboard on the wall in the picture below. I want the whole wall covered.

I believe that there's some kind of rigid foam insulation, but I'm not sure who or when it was put in. It may be from the 70's or 80's.

Do I have to drill through to the concrete or would it be better to glue it somehow to the foam insulation?

The cheap paneling they have is half attached and you can see that the trim fell off. Above that is some old terrible cheap wallpaper stuck lightly to the foam insulation. I can most likely peel it right off or just go over it,

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-18, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
One option is to simply go over the top of the paneling that is already there if you securely fasten it first. If you intend to remove the existing paneling then you can make a better decision after you have it down and see what's behind. You might find that there are studs or furring strips you can nail into.

Old 03-29-18, 07:31 PM
B
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
One option is to simply go over the top of the paneling that is already there if you securely fasten it first. If you intend to remove the existing paneling then you can make a better decision after you have it down and see what's behind. You might find that there are studs or furring strips you can nail into.
That paneling is barely hanging on by a few nails someone nailed into the rigid foam insulation underneath it. There are no studs, but rather just the foam insulation and then a concrete cellar wall.

Can I drill into the wall with just a masonry bit and my Ryobi cordless drill?

Old 03-30-18, 05:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
If the foam insulation is firmly in place then I'd just glue your paneling on top of the foam.

What would you do if drilled into the concrete? Hold the paneling on with bolts or screws?

Old 03-30-18, 05:20 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So you have some foam that is glued to the wall and you want to attach some type of wood product to the foam.

Can it be done, sure, but it's not going to be very secure or solid as seen by the first attempt.

Attempting to attach by going through the foam to the wall could be done but you will have to use some relatively large anchors/screws and that would be overkill and unsightly.

Old 04-02-18, 08:27 PM
B
How about some type of wall paper or something?

Old 04-03-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
You can do whatever you want. It depends on your budget and how "proper" you want it to be. If you want to go wallpaper you could even use adhesive backed shelf liner. It's plastic so it would be moisture resistant and easy to wipe down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: