How to remove thinset and other questions!

Old 07-22-18, 10:27 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove thinset and other questions!

Background: Complete novice at tiling work.
Dropped a pot on tile which caused large crack. Therefore, cut grout lines with multipurpose tool, shattered rest of time and removed it.

Current Problem: Used rotary drill (Bauer Harbor Freight) with a Milwaukee Concrete Chisel Bit and scared to take off some of the thinset. Even with the drill it is not that easy. On the spots (grey) where removed most it meant gouging the backerboard as I see strands of steel.

What is a more efficient way to do this? I have seen some suggestions online to use an angle grinder with a diamond cut blade. Is this a good idea?
I just want to get this are in a situation where its fairly level and ready for new thinset and a tile.

The tile on this part of the floor has had grout replaced once due to cracks which cracked again shortly thereafter. When I took up the broken tile yesterday, I notice the tile did not have much thinset on the back. I think that is called back buttered? I have a house built in the 1940ís where the subfloor in other rooms with non tile creaks. I imagine the cracking comes from a weak subfloor as I hear a creak sometimes while walking over the tiled area. I am certain the tile will not crack as we have used this floor for about 10 years. I am certain the grout will crack again if I use regular grout. I read there is some kind of more elastic grout (if you can call it that) but forgot the brand? Do you know? Iím not talking about caulk but some special grout.

Anyway help me to remove the thinset today? What should I do?

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-18, 01:19 PM
P
Here is a better pic after vaccumming the area. I dont like the gouging from the rotary drill. After vac it seems it dug deeper into the backerboard than I thought, exposing a metal net.

Should I use an angle grinderer and a diamond wheel instead? Thinking of this: https://www.amazon.com/THINSET-REMOV...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-18, 02:04 PM
P
So now I realize I got a "jersey mud job" and have no backerboard. I took a close up pic and see wood. Now what to do?

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: