Problem with floor grout crumbling

Old 08-09-18, 11:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with floor grout crumbling

Hi,
I had my kitchen floor recently replaced with porcelain tile. Right after they were finished I noticed a couple of areas where the grout did not look right. The rest of the floor looks beautiful. They assured me it would be fine after completely dried and if not they would come back. After a couple of days still looked the same so they came back and redid. Of course the next day still didn't look right. There were little holes in some places (appeared that not enough grout was put down) and crumbling grout in other places. Now the tile guy is ignoring me even though he said he would come back to fix yet again. I've read some other stories here of folks with the same issue. Not sure what I need to do now. I saw the sub-floor when they removed the old tile and it looked like for lack of knowing the proper term, floor board and they told me it was good for laying the tile on top of. I know he used thinset to lay the tile. He also mentioned after I called him back this last time that "this is going to happen because there is no concrete under the tile." Well he never mentioned that would be a problem when they started not did he offer any type of solution to alleviate any issues. So annoying! I had a friend of mine regrout the spots but unfortunately same thing happened. Will try to upload some pics. I'm wondering could humidity be causing problems? It is super hot in my kitchen although again this happened from the get go and the majority of the tile looks great. Should I buy another bag of grout? This tile is in the middle of other tiles in a well trafficed area (I have a small galley kitchen) Do I need to have the other tiles around it removed and laid again? Man I really don't want to have to do that. I've read also movement could be causing it.

Hmm, not sure how to attach the pics here. : (

Thanks,
Andrea

Old 08-09-18, 11:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
What do you call "floor board"? You need concrete, Hardie Backer or cement board. Wood of any type is not a suitable base for tile.

Old 08-09-18, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

How to attach pictures

Old 08-09-18, 01:11 PM
A
It definitely was not wood subfloor. It looked like some sort of board with what appeared to be some holes throughout. I apologize because I have no idea of what it is called. I am going to look at my pics and see if I caught it.

Old 08-09-18, 01:37 PM
A
Thank you very much for the link!

Old 08-09-18, 06:55 PM
A
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
What do you call "floor board"? You need concrete, Hardie Backer or cement board. Wood of any type is not a suitable base for tile.
I found a pic where you can see the sub-floor. Is that Hardie Backer that you referred to? Also included pics of the bad grout.

Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 08-10-18, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes, that looks like Hardie Backer (it eaven says so if you look closely).

Old 08-10-18, 06:10 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Just looking at the picture, the gap looks to small to be using sanded grout.

Old 08-10-18, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That's what I was thinking, Joe. The MapeI sanded grout instructions "say" it can be used with joints as small as 1/8", but it's harder to work into those joints fully. And I imagine if the grout is coming out like powder that it was mixed too wet or got too dry and water was added, or additive wasn't used.

Old 08-20-18, 10:55 AM
A
Thanks for your responses. Why would it only happen in that joint? Looks the same size as the others. What other type of grout could be used?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: