No tiles under old Vanity, cannot find replacements

Old 10-24-18, 10:11 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tiles under old Vanity, cannot find replacements

So I started our first bathroom remodel and right away we noticed that the old vanity is just sitting on the subfloor. After searching around I see this is pretty common. The new vanity has legs, so we need tile under it. Our original plan was to find the 80 or so tile that we need to "fill in" and just move on. However; 4x4 white hexagon tiles are very hard to come by in Eastern Carolina. We thought about doing an accent under the vanity of a different color hexagon tile, building a small platform out of wood and sitting the new vanity on it, or using a similar tile to the top of the vanity to give it some extra pop.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-24-18, 12:34 PM
Received 998 Likes on 907 Posts
4x4 white hexagon tiles are very hard to come by in Eastern Carolina
I had at least 40 hits for mail order goggling 4" hexagon floor tile, not too difficult!

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/si...tile-hexagon-4

Can just use a conventional cabinet to fit existing spot!

Old 10-24-18, 12:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,179 Likes on 1,137 Posts
You could use a conventional vanity or put some kind of tile under there. Personally, I would not try to match what you have, as I think the slight difference when you try to match and fail is more apparent than the obvious difference when you just plain used something different. Sometimes the answer is also to replace some of the existing tiles to create a pattern which looks more intentional and less like filling in a space previously occupied. Additionally, you could retile the whole room.

Old 10-24-18, 03:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
You may not find what you need in "eastern Carolina" which I read to mean you checked the big box home centers.. Easiest will be to look online like Marq1 mentioned. You can also search online for people in the Carolinas and nearby states dealing in vintage house stuff. Talk to them and you might buy one tile as a sample before ordering everything you need or take a road trip and walk the dusty aisles to find something that matches your tile.

Old 10-24-18, 06:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Honestly, you are doing a bathroom remodel, most often than not that includes a new floor. So, bite the bullet, rip our the existing old dated flooring tile and start from new with a more modern look. Fairly simple if it is DIY and we are here to guide.

Old 10-29-18, 01:23 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to everyone. I think we are leaning towards brand new floors. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: