Removing sticky tile from concrete

Old 11-01-18, 08:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Removing sticky tile from concrete

Having an issue getting sticky tile to come up off the ground. Some area is concrete and other areas are commercial grade tile. How do you get this stuff up without destroying your knees and back? Got 400 sq ft to pull up. I did start heating the tile and it slowly comes up but looking for better alternatives. And how do you remove the excess adhesive from the tiles after they are pulled? If I step in a spot I always lose my shoe.

Old 11-01-18, 01:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
There are powered tile scrapers made just for the task. Check with tool rental stores in your area to see if they have one you can rent. The money spent on a half day rental could be well worth it.

I have also had luck with a straight hoe. The garden tool. Sharpen the edge and it allows you to scrape while standing up and the extra mass/weight of the tool gives it more power when you slide it into the edge of the tile.

Old 11-01-18, 01:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
We tried the hoe approach and the tile just chips.

Old 11-01-18, 01:43 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Toney
Having an issue getting sticky tile to come up off the ground.
Some area is concrete and other areas are commercial grade tile. How do you get this stuff up
Spread dry ice pellets over the first row of sticky tile, wait for a few minutes and you should hear a "pop" as the tile (and if you're lucky adhesive) pulls away from the concrete. Pry the tile up, sweep the dry ice to the next row of tiles and repeat.
Use gloves, make sure a window is open.

Last edited by Hal_S; 11-01-18 at 02:36 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: