Replace shower grout at wall and floor seam

Old 11-14-18, 02:07 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace shower grout at wall and floor seam

After much product research here and elsewhere, Iím removing some of the long crack and broken and missing grout in one shower seam using Red Devil Ready to Use Tile Grout (calcium carbonate, aqueous acrylic emulsion (mixture), titanium dioxide. I even spoke to several people at their company to be sure this would be right rather than caulk as I see recommended as much as unsanded grout. The stuff is in a squeeze tube so I can apply it easily (caulk guns are so hard to use) and and coloring the white grout with Grout Oen in gray, sore of like a big magic market but made for this use. I need to know how much of an angle there should be or should it be just scraped flat and even? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-18, 04:36 PM
Received 375 Votes on 350 Posts
First of all any pre mixed products like grout or mortar are not very good and would not advise using it, non pre mixed products are always a superior product.

Not real clear from your description but color match caulk is used in the corners where there is a plane change. That corner gets a lot of stress so caulk has just enough flexibility that it will not crack!

Old 11-14-18, 06:47 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Pre-mixed grouts/mortars are not recommended for wet locations such as a shower. The correct thing that should have been done when the shower was installed was to use color matching caulking instead of hard grout. Caulking is the only thing recommended when there is a plane change in tile, such as your change from floor to wall. Caulking is flexible and can move with the walls which expand and contract at different rates.

Old 11-22-18, 03:04 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grout vs. caulk in shower/planes

I think I will go with caulk. Should I finish removing all the grout that was cracked and used to fill these seams at the floor/wall line? Please tell me the specific caulk to use, there are so many to choose from. Do all caulks need to be applied with a caulking gun? Thank you for sharing your expertise.