Tiling bathroom walls

Old 01-01-19, 08:23 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling bathroom walls

I am hoping to tile the walls that surround our bathtub. Currently there are vinyl (?) sheets that surround the tub. This tub is only for bathing, no shower.
My question is: can I tile directly over these panels? Or if we were to remove them from the walls, could I tile directly on the wall without replacing with cement board? The walls do not get wet except for a bit closest to the bathtub.
I have experience with tiling having completed two bathroom surrounds and several kitchen back splashes.
Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-19, 09:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
Whatever the vinyl is will have to come down. Then, I really would pull down the sheetrock and install a proper backing for tile like Hardie Backer or cement board. You'll have a fair bit of money and labor in tiling and I'd hate to see it all ruined because you went cheap on the backer especially since it's so quick and easy to rip out sheetrock and screw up sheets of backer.

Old 01-01-19, 05:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sigh... I know you're right. I was hoping to do a quick fix. But it would be wasteful to not do it correctly.

Old 01-01-19, 07:36 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I have to repeat what PD says.

And obviously you knew that also because of your past experience. But sometimes you just want that extra expertise thought from someone else.