Basement Bathroom Tiles

Old 03-18-19, 09:20 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Bathroom Tiles

Hi Everyone,

i am a new homeowner and noticed some issues after recently closing. Unfortunately, the bathroom tiles in the basement are loose. We took some out and noticed that the cement stuff is rotting away. We took off 4 bottom tiles and another just fell off on its own. My wife and I are a bit worried about this but wanted to know if there were things were can do on our own to remedy this and save $$.

Any help will be greatly appreciated; as we unsure on how to proceed. Thanks!

Last edited by prruiz90; 03-18-19 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Clarifying information
Old 03-19-19, 02:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The tiles are 'glued' to the wall using thinset. It comes in a bag stocked where tile is sold. You'd mix however much you need with water and trowel it onto the backs of the tiles that are off and press it onto the wall. The gaps between tiles get grouted. Obviously the crumbling thinset gets scraped off first.

pics might help us better understand what you have going on, here on some instructions
How to insert pictures.

Old 03-19-19, 08:33 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The tiles are 'glued' to the wall using thinset.
Hopefully!

But, what are the tiles installed on, cement board, drywall? Did they use thinset or mastic?

Did something get wet or was this just a quick and cheap installation that is falling apart?

Need more info, pictures to assess what is going on!

Old 03-19-19, 09:57 PM
P
Pics of basement bathroom tiles falling off.

thanks a bunch for the quick responses. I can’t upload via phone but I have something that looks similar. Only difference is that the sheet rock that was holding some of the bottom tiles broke off as well. It was rotten. Here is what I having going on:

Last edited by prruiz90; 03-19-19 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Picture not showing
Old 03-20-19, 02:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sounds like you really need to rip out the entire surround and start over. Drywall isn't a suitable base for tile in a wet location. Water has made it thru cracks in the grout [grout isn't really waterproof] and destroyed the drywall. Today we use cement board which is a lot better substrate. Another option would be to get one of those plastic overlay surrounds that can be glued over what you have.

Old 03-25-19, 04:38 AM
P
Thanks

Hi, thanks. Yes, it looks like I will have to rip the whole wall off and put in another and then tile it right. Thanks again everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: