Could use some tile help...

Old 12-23-19, 02:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could use some tile help...

I'll preempt this by saying I'm a tile amateur. Prior to this project, the only tile work I've done is a small 7'x5' patio. I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and have run into a pretty big issue. The back story - I put in a built in niche in the shower, and wanted it to line up perfectly with the grout lines. I set the pan, water proofed everything, measured and remeasured and put in my niche. After reading a couple of other forum posts, I started my first course of tiles at the bottom of the niche (using a ledger board), to guarantee no cuts. I then proceeded to tile the whole shower from the ledger board height on up. The plan was to then come back, lay the floor, then put in the two remaining courses. Well, you guessed it, I miss-measured. When I place two tiles up to the wall, I end up with 3/4" - 1"" gap. So - any creative ideas as to how to overcome my issue? The only solution I've come up with is to use two runs of Schluter Quadec stacked on each other to take up the gap.

One other side question - the flooring in the shower is stone mosaic, and the walls are porcelain with glass tile mosaic accent. The floor calls for sanded grout, and the glass tile calls for nonsanded grout. I'm concerned with matching color and texture. Any thoughts on this as well?

Old 12-23-19, 07:51 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
Post some pictures so we can see what your seeing please.

Old 12-24-19, 03:44 AM
Received 498 Votes on 462 Posts
When I place two tiles up to the wall, I end up with 3/4" - 1"" gap
Sorry, agree a picture is needed, not understanding where the gap is occuring.

I'm concerned with matching color and texture.
Usually you can get grout in sanded or unsanded in the same color. Texture will be slightly different but but if gaps are small you would have to look really hard to notice!

Old 12-24-19, 05:28 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
First check the gap so you know it is the same all around the enclosure,

If it is then there are decorative strips you can get. Schluter does make some.
Also you could get some narrow tiles to fill /accent the gap.

If the gap is not the same all the way around then I would put this filler strip above the first coarse.
and cut the first coarse to fit.
You would notice if the 1" filler varies but would not notice this on the larger format tiles.
Perhaps you can use the accent else where so it looks like an intentional design element.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: