Question re: caulk versus grout.

Old 12-24-19, 09:24 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question re: caulk versus grout.

I've always heard, and used, the idea that caulk should be used instead of grout when two surfaces intersect. (In a corner, where wall meets floor, etc.)

A neighbor just had a bathroom renovation done, and I had looked in a couple of times during the process. In the shower area they had placed the waterproof backer board along walls and floor, and the shower pan had been lined with a vinyl (?) membrane, which extended approximately 6 inches up each wall.
Over the weekend, after it was all done I noticed that they had used grout in both corners and wall/floor intersection.
How serious a problem with that be? (And if it's a bad problem how I tell my neighbor?)
Any advice to give him?

As always, thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-19, 09:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
How to tell him depends in large part what type of relationship you have with him. The grout in the corners will crack sooner or later. It's more cosmetic than anything else as the visqueen behind the cement board [or redgard over it] is what keeps everything dry.

Old 12-24-19, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Votes on 218 Posts
I commonly see grout in corners. Will it crack? Likely yes. Is it a big deal? That will depend on who is writing the check.

Old 12-24-19, 01:14 PM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
It may also not crack for quite a while and can be calked over then.

And it will look really nice until then so I do not think it is much of a problem.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 12-24-19, 01:16 PM
Received 419 Votes on 390 Posts
Will it crack? Likely yes. Is it a big deal?
Not likely, it will crack, its cosmetic as I have on many occasions simply caulked over the corner cracks and that was the end of the issue.

It just shows the level of experience/customer satisfaction of the contractor.

they had placed the waterproof backer board along walls and floor, and the shower pan had been lined with a vinyl (?) membrane
This would be my bigger concern, what the heck is waterproof backer board?

Old school vinyl shower pans are old tech, membrane systems are the fool proof way to ensure nothing ever leaks!

Old 12-25-19, 08:06 AM
M
"Waterproof backer board" -my neighbor's words; I'd call it "cement board". I saw the workers beginning to install that. Neighbor later said that the workers then "spread something over the surfaces/joints" a day before installing the tiles.

Thanks to all for the info.

Old 12-25-19, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
At least they didn't use "green board" hopefully.

Old 12-26-19, 03:19 PM
M
No green board. When I saw it, I thought that it was cement board, so I looked closer, and it had "cement board" printed on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: