How to tile 3 season sun room?

Old 07-05-23, 09:13 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to tile 3 season sun room?

I'm planning to tile a 3 season sun room. Thinking of doing 12x24 porcelain tile myself. A few questions

It has concrete floor, do I need to do any special prep to it? Level it or apply some kind of isolation membrane before tiling?

What type of thinset would I need? Modified? what brand?

Should I use a tile leveling system? What size grout lines should be used?

What type of grout? unsanded?

Any other special considerations I should think about considering it's going to be cold in the winter/hot in the summer out there? It is enclosed by windows, so shouldn't be rained on unless windows are left open.

Old 07-05-23, 10:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,228 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
Everything depends on the condition of your existing concrete.

You tell us, do you need to level or use a self leveler?

Was the existing concrete ever sealed or painted? If so it might need grinding to remove the old finish. Or if it's never been treated a thorough cleaning might be all that is needed.

I would use a modified thinset just to stack the deck in your favor a bit.

Grout joint size is mostly a cosmetic decision. Generally larger tiles have larger grout lines but I've seen huge tiles installed with minimum gap between tiles.

Old 07-06-23, 01:47 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
It has concrete floor, do I need to do any special prep to it? Level it or apply some kind of isolation membrane before tiling?
Depends on the condition of the slab. Is it in good shape? Are there any cracks in the slab? If there are cracks, is one side of the crack higher than the other? How flat is the floor, and dips or high areas?

What type of thinset would I need? Modified? what brand?
Tile this size needs a medium bed mortar. Brand isn't so important, just get a good quality medium bed mortar.

Should I use a tile leveling system? What size grout lines should be used?
A tile leveling system would be a good idea, especially if you haven't set tile in the past. The size grout line will be dependent on a few things. Compare the tiles, see if they vary at all in size. Size variance will require a larger grout line. 1/4 is typical for that size tile.

What type of grout? unsanded?
Sanded grout.

What pattern will you be using? Check the tiles for flatness by placing a few tiles face up and then face down on a flat surface to see if they are flat. Any cupping will require an offset pattern of some sorts.

Old 07-06-23, 03:58 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You need to start with the tile, once that is decided the manufacturer will have many of the items you are asking as requirements, then we can help fill in the blanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: