Marble Thresholds

Old 10-23-23, 12:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marble Thresholds

Hello,

I am replacing the marble thresholds between the ceramic tile of my kitchen and the hardwood floors in my living room. I have two questions:

1) My thought is to adhere the marble to the hardwood using a product called Loctite PL 530, which is made for mirror, marble, and granite. Does this sound like a reasonable choice? My research indicates the floor material is equally as important as the adhesive, so I want to seek opinions on here.

2) The hardwood floor is not level. When I put the marble on the floor, there are gaps on both sides and it rocks. Is it appropriate to put down shims on both sides and caulk the edge of the threshold where it meets the hardwood?

thank you in advance

Old 10-23-23, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We don't allow the same topic to post in two threads.
This is your thread. The pro's will be by.

Old 10-23-23, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
PL530 will work well.

You "can" shim it but a better solution would be to make the wood floor flat. Scribe a line in front of the threshold with a pencil, and then make a vertical cut on that line with a multitool. Then chisel and/or belt sand up to that cut line, and flatten the wood floor as needed. A grinder and a flap sanding disc would work too. But if you think that is more work than it's worth, that's up to you. The sealant will also help to support the marble where there are any voids. Marble likes to break if you have voids and weight is put on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: