Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Do you need to add a stain blocker additive to shower tile grout?

Old 11-01-23, 02:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts

Getting ready to grout my shower tile, when I bought my grout I notice they had a stain blocker additive you could add into the grout while mixing it. Is this stain blocker something I would need to add to my grout for a shower wall? I'm not really sure what a stain blocker additive does..

Old 11-06-23, 07:10 AM
M
Call the company about the difference between stain blocker additive and grout sealer, got my answer..

Old 11-06-23, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
Please feel free to share.

In my limited experience... I have not found the stain blockers to be effective.
I have found that grout sealer is very effective on floor tiles.
50-50 in the shower.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-12-23, 08:13 AM
M
The company told me that Stain Blocker Additive is basically the same thing as grout sealer, stain blocker is just added when mixing dry grout, you wouldn't have to seal it afterwards, but recommended that you do so anyways. He also told me that adding a stain blocker additive to dry mix will set the grout up quicker but will make the grout seem sticky and a little harder to work with. The Polyblend Plus grout is a newer product which now has more strength and better workability, no need to use any kind of an additive but does have to be sealed afterwards. Hopefully this info will help with any future questions on using a stain blocker additive with Polyblend Plus..

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: