Shower pan over tile floor?

Old 12-11-23, 05:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower pan over tile floor?

New shower installed 2 years ago. Tiled walls and herringbone tile floor. I realized after cleaning the shower the 1st time that the grout had failed. Contacted the tile company and they said they would just add new grout (no mention of chipping away old grout). Time passes and grout get worse and worse. Contacted tile company again and learn that the grout company had bad batches of grout which explains our situation. I am done with grout. Is it ok to install a solid surface shower pan over existing tile floor? Concern is being unable to remove wall tiles without compromising waterproofing so lip of shower pan won't be tiles over. Any advice?

Old 12-12-23, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pictures are always very helpful..... How to insert pictures.

That will not be an easy job. You will need to have wall tiles removed to make room for the pan.
Going over a tile floor wouldn't necessarily be a problem but there is the drain to consider.
You may need access to the drain from below.

If you aren't personally doing the work... ask your installer too.

Old 12-12-23, 07:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We have access to the under side since the 1sr floor ceiling isn't finished. I don't think the drain will be a problem since they make drain extenders. I wonder if there is something we can use to cover the lip that typically goes under the tile. Could we add a decorative piece of tile that could bridge the gap between the wall tile and the lip of the shower pan.

Old 12-13-23, 05:57 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
As long as the existing pan isn't damaged, why not just replace the grout?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: