Tile saw blade for glass tile?

Old 12-18-23, 06:18 PM
U
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Tile saw blade for glass tile?

Do it Yourself form brain trust:

I purchased a wet table saw to do my small kitchen backsplash as it would be cheaper to buy the saw rather than rent one for the week or so it would take me to finish my job after work. The saw is not a "professional grade" saw by any means, and it came with the blade pictured below.

I'm going to be cutting glass tile. Is this blade OK for this job of cutting glass tile, or should I buy a different blade? If I should buy a different blade, could you give me a linky or two for a blade that I can pick up at the local Home Depot or Lowe's so I don't have to wait for the blade to be delivered? I'm going to be cutting maybe 120 glass tiles with this blade, then selling the saw when I'm done.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-23, 07:49 PM
C
Received 186 Upvotes on 151 Posts
You want a continuous rim blade labeled for use with glass tile. Rigid makes an OK one for sale at HD.
The tiles will dull the blade quickly, so you will also want a diamond blade resin dressing stone. When you notice the blade cutting slower than at first, dress it with the stone and it restore cutting speed and quality. A lot of the complaints you see in the reviews of diamond blades are about how quickly they get dull; proper use of the dressing stone greatly extends the blades usable life.

Cut glass tile slowly; if you go too fast the blade will heat up (even with the cooling water) and will crack the tile. Cutting too fast also often cracks off corners, especially on small tiles like mosaics.

ualdriver voted this post useful.
Old 12-18-23, 08:47 PM
U
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ok thanks Carbide. I'll look for both of those things tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: