Installing laminate flooring on a sheetrock wall

Old 02-12-17, 11:42 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing laminate flooring on a sheetrock wall

Hi - I'm planning on installing a laminate flooring on one wall in my daughter's room. It's a whitewash wood look, which will go perfectly with her beach-themed room. In the installation instructions on the Pergo website, it says you need to affix the boards to the wall using 1-1/2 inch brads AND 10)% silicone caulk. I'm concerned the caulk will destroy the wall when we eventually remove the laminate. The person at the flooring store suggested I could skip the caulk and just use ring-shank or spiral-shank finishing nails, making sure I'm nailing right into the studs. This ought to be adequate for keeping the boards tight to the wall while causing minimal damage to the sheetrock. Does this make sense?

Second question is around the baseboards. I very much would like to avoid having to remove and reattach the baseboards, which would also mean I'd have to cut down the baseboards on the adjacent walls. I wanted to just start attaching the boards right above the baseboards. I think it should look okay, but wanted to get thoughts from others.

Any other advice from anyone who has done this type of job before would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 02-12-17, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Aha !! FINALLY a good use for laminate flooring. Thank you. What thickness of flooring do you plan on using for the project? Using nails probably won't be in the offing as there is no provision for nails through the tongue of laminate flooring, and being MDF it will crumble if you try it. Personally if I were to do this, I would use an adhesive applied with a 1/8" v joint trowel and apply the laminate to the walls, pressing firmly. Yeah it will tear the paper off the walls when you remove it, but it won't be like next week, surely You can start application directly above the baseboard to eliminate having to remove them if the laminate is thin enough. You'd just have to see if it would be acceptable.

If you don't mind having the nail holes in the laminate, use a 15 gauge finish nailer with 1" nails, snap a line along every stud and nail pretty uniformly up and down the line. The line can be washed off. You will encounter some chipping of the laminate, so you may want to try it on some scrap before you decide to do the entire wall. Incidentally there is no such thing as a ring shank or spiral finish nail. Sometimes the store employees hired to work in carpentry related departments are better suited for the garden store

Old 02-12-17, 09:38 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
1-1/2 inch brads AND 100% silicone
So are they assuming the caulk will be used as adhesive?

Would this be installed by face nailing?

If attempting to nail through the tongue the joints are very precise, if the heads of the nails are not buried they will not fit together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: