Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Stone Veneer in the Building Materials for Interior Wall Finish

Old 02-10-16, 06:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with these different materials and applications.......thinking about re-doing the area around my gas fire place and maybe an accent interior wall.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-16, 06:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Luis!

Stone can be fairly heavy, will the structure support it? Pics of the areas in question along with info about the floor structure could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-10-16, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have done a fair bit of stone veneer work but you'll have to get more specific with what you are trying to do. Some thin natural stones can be placed on "normal" walls but synthetic are also commonly used.

Old 02-10-16, 08:45 AM
To be more specific I'm looking at this system because Lowes supplies it.

M-Rock Stone Manufacturing – MSI P-SERIES – Mortarless Stone Panels

That's my limited knowledge of it.

Thanks

Luis

Old 02-10-16, 10:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
So, do you have a question about that system?

Old 02-10-16, 04:27 PM
Quality, installation, cost vs similar products etc....

Old 02-11-16, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
The product page you linked tells you a great deal about it's installation. Without knowing you're location it's impossible to comment on installation cost. But that product is more expensive than a pallet of real stone but it's quick and easy installation makes it more DIY friendly and if hiring the work the installation would go faster than real stone which will keep the install cost down.

Old 03-04-16, 03:05 AM
Can you install real stone over wood frame construction without a concrete foundation?

And yea I guess I was hoping someone on here had experience with a similar product.

Old 03-04-16, 07:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Generally "no". You cannot attach a real stone veneer to wood. Search the web and there are many sites showing what is required. If you have a wood base it usually involves a waterproofing layer and then a mechanical base like wire mesh, lattice or chicken wire with a scratch coat of mud/mortar.

If you are disappointed in the responses received you may find that you get more responses by asking specific questions. A very general "does anyone have experience with..." will have some professionals rolling their eyes especially since most questions can be answered by visiting the manufacturers website. But, if you have a specific question or need advice you will find more help.

If you are considering a synthetic product then you should follow the manufacturers instructions. There are numerous options. Some install much like real stone while others come in sheets that have slots that allow you to nail or screw them to wood without any other special preparation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: