I need a miracle removing wallpaper

Old 02-20-16, 02:51 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need a miracle removing wallpaper

I have a job where I have to remove wall paper from dry wall. I removed a sample. It's going to leave small pot holes. My goal is to remove the wall paper without having to replace the dry wall. Besides fabric softener & a steamer, what other tricks of the trade are available?

Old 02-20-16, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
There is a product called Dip (I think) and a roller with sharp points to poke holes in paper. If it doesn't come off fairly easy I find it easier to replace drywall.

Old 02-20-16, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'm guessing you have pulled off the surface layer dry, and are working on the paper backing? Are you using a lightweight scoring tool to perforated the backing? Or did you go straight for the one on the pole, which will leave holes?

Edit: pugsl, I think you mean DIF.

Old 02-20-16, 03:12 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
If the rock wasn't primed or painted before the paper went up, you're probably doomed. If it was, then there's hope. I've had best results with the little wagner steamer. Messy and hot job, but it works pretty well. It's the only wagner anything I've ever liked.

I have also used the scoring tool and the DIF wallpaper solution. It takes patience (which I usually don't have) but repeated applications and giving time to soak in and soften the glue usually do the trick.

Old 02-20-16, 03:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO any of the solutions [commercial or homemade] don't make a lot of difference. The main thing is getting water to the adhesive so it can dissolve it. Scoring the paper with a utility knife or 'wallpaper wheel' helps! Having to make drywall repairs is to be expected although the better or more careful you remove the wallpaper the less those repairs will be.

Old 02-20-16, 03:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I only removed a couple of inches without any tools or chemicals. I'll certainly try DIF, the roller & the Wagner steamer. It doesn't look like the rock was primed or painted first.

Old 02-20-16, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are sure the drywall was never primed/painted I'd reconsider trying to strip the paper. That is an almost impossible task. While I'm not a fan of painting over drywall it might be a better idea to skim j/c over the seams or any damage, prime with oil base and then paint.

Old 02-20-16, 03:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The wall paper has raised vertical strips, in it. They feel like felt. That's the best that I can describe it. The raised sections are about an inch wide & about a foot apart. Do you think that I should just skim coat over them & use the oil based primer?

Old 02-20-16, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm having a hard time picturing that in my mind, is it something like grass cloth?

The main thing when skimming/painting over wallpaper is to make good and sure ALL the paper is adhered well to the drywall.

Old 02-20-16, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Years ago.... wallpaper with felt stripes or blocking was very popular.

Old 02-20-16, 04:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's a multi colored wall paper but every foot or so, is a vertical strip of what feels like felt. It's in pretty good shape. The raised strips are why I didn't suggest to paint over it. If I can get a pic tomorrow, I'll post it.

Old 02-20-16, 04:26 PM
B
I had good luck removing wallpaper by scoring it and just spray it with hot water from a garden sprayer. let it set a few min and what did not come off we sprayed again. finally got it all off without any damage to drywall.Good luck

Old 02-20-16, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a layered vinyl wallpaper to me. Spraying the surface does nothing and it can be a real bear. Surface layer has to be torn away, then the paper backing is worked on while wet.

Old 02-20-16, 06:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Who changed the title of my post? Unbelievable!! Put it back to what it was!!

Old 02-21-16, 03:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Lighten up Pulpo, thread titles get changed all the time to better reflect the theme of the thread, I've even had the title of my threads changed on occasion.

I don't remember seeing wallpaper with felt stripes ..... but maybe I just don't remember

While it isn't always possible to tear the face layer off of vinyl wallpaper it must be compromised in order to rewet the adhesive. That is why it's important to score the paper - so the water can penetrate thru to the adhesive. Wallpaper adhesives are water soluble. Vinyl wallpaper repels the water preventing it from getting behind where the adhesive is. The problem with wallpaper over unsealed drywall is the adhesive soaks deep into the drywall making in next to impossible to remove without damaging the drywall.

Old 02-21-16, 06:30 AM
W
About a year ago, I got a job pulling wallpaper in two bedrooms to prep for painting. One bedroom went reasonably well. The other was exactly what you're describing. A nightmare. I tested in various spots around the room and determined it was simply going to be faster and cheaper to pull the existing drywall and reinstall. The labour involved in removing the wallpaper was going to cost a fortune and redrywalling a smallish bedroom wasn't that big of a deal.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses and surrender to the wallpaper.

Old 02-21-16, 02:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/guap...g.html?filters[user]=140727937&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

See if those pics help. The gray strips between the red lines are what feels raised. I called it felt but it might be called suede. Ignore the pic of the faucet.

Old 02-21-16, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Aside from the part that the wolverine chewed on, it looks like it's coming off pretty nicely. You rip the face off as you have done in those 2 areas, then spray the paper backing that's left and let it soak before scraping it with a putty knife. As mentioned, if the drywall is unpainted that makes it difficult to remove cleanly. Did you use a steamer on either part?

Old 02-21-16, 02:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
When I click on that link it says 'unexpected error'
What if I don't want to ignore the faucet pic

how come the link doesn't work for me

Last edited by marksr; 02-21-16 at 02:52 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-21-16, 03:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
guapo's Library | Photobucket

Try it that way. Click on each pic separately

Xsleeper. I didn't spray anything. I did that dry. No dogs were there either.

Old 02-21-16, 03:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That link worked

How much sq footage is involved? If it isn't much more than shown in the pics I'd be tempted to remove what I could, oil prime the walls, skim coat, sand, prime and paint. You could use Zinnser's Gardz in place of the oil primer.

Old 02-21-16, 03:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How much sq footage is involved?
It's a lot more than what's shown. Part of the second level may or may not be included. Is DIF still recommended? The same question for that roller that can pierce the paper. I haven't tried to soak a piece of the paper yet. I can do that tonight.

Old 02-21-16, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Doing it dry is the first step, so in those areas you are halfway there. But if you haven't tried a steamer, any type of scoring tool or any type of spray, (on the backing) it sounds like you are giving up on it too soon.

The roller that I would suggest you try first is just the little handheld plastic roller. You don't have to romp on it.

Old 02-21-16, 03:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Assuming the 'roller' that X is referring to is the same as what I call a 'wheel' it's basically a little contraption that cuts thru the wallpaper at a set depth so it will cut thru the wallpaper [so the water can get to the adhesive] but not gouge into the drywall. It is very easy to use. Generally you can buy one anywhere wallpaper is sold. The ones I've used had a metal casing.

here's an example - http://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-029...stripping+tool

Old 02-21-16, 04:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
By pulling on it dry, I didn't give myself a fighting chance. I have to see how it reacts when it's wet. I'll stop at a paint store tomorrow to see what they have to offer & I'll test the sample piece of wallpaper too. It might be a go after all.

The carpet in the pics also has to be removed & maybe refinishing the floor. That's the easy part.

Old 02-21-16, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
I think you HAVE to pull on it dry first. Pulling the surface sheet off leaves the paper backing and doesnt tear the drywall.

Old 02-21-16, 05:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It didn't leave the backing under the light switch. They why those creators are there.

Old 02-21-16, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
It's a given that it will all need to be skimmed once the wallpaper is removed. You said your goal was...
to remove the wall paper without having to replace the dry wall.
I think that we are on the same page here.

I would imagine that you might have "some" of that, but if you realize that you aren't trying to peel ALL of the wallpaper off at once... that this is a two step process... that you just want to peel off the surface sheet, like what is pictured over the stairs (right side of that pic looks good), you probably won't be so aggressive that you dig into the drywall as much. (left side of that pic) Were you using a razor scraper?

Secondly, if tearing off the surface layer is resulting in too much damage, you might need to perforate the surface instead, and try it wet.

Old 02-22-16, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can separate the vinyl face from the backing the removal process will be easier but at lot of times the face doesn't want to separate. The main thing is getting moisture to the adhesive!

If you haven't figured it out by now you will by the time the job is done, most of us that have stripped wallpaper have lost any appreciation for that type of wall covering. Occasionally it will come off easily but often you have to fight for every inch

Old 02-22-16, 05:38 AM
W
most of us that have stripped wallpaper have lost any appreciation for that type of wall covering
I have stripped miles and miles of wallpaper. Thus my ethical refusal to ever install it again. Did it once many years ago. Managed to do a good job and the customer was very happy. Will never do it again.

Old 02-22-16, 03:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I went to a tool rental, a paint store & Home Depot. The tool rental has steamers for under $30. One young guy told me that the removed wall paper from sheet rocked walls with a steamer & all went well. The paint store has DIF & the perforater tool. The paint store said, to try DIF & the tool first. The tool rental said, to try the steamer first. Home Depot didn't know much. However, they have a similar product to DIF called Chomp. The perforator tool is really small. It doesn't cover much wall space.

Old 02-22-16, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that wheel isn't very big but it doesn't take much effort to slide it across the wall.

I've used a steamer, different commercially prepared liquids and homemade concoctions and I'm convince none of them work better than just plain old water. If the adhesive gets wet - it will dissolve!
Not everyone agrees with me

Old 02-22-16, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
I think the only advantage to DIF or fabric softener is that it may not evaporate as fast as water does.

Old 02-22-16, 04:31 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
IMO, Dif will utilize a couple of those green things in your pocket and not much more. I use hot water, and have for years. This is a judgement call, if you have yet to use any water, then you really have not given it a try. Also, sometimes the paper is directional, meaning that your pull little pieces if you pull to the left, your get bigger pieces if your pull to the right (or up/down). But give it a try with a spray bottle and warm water. If you can get the glue wet, you have a fighting chance. Every now and then you run into a total bear of a wallpaper job and skim coat and paint is the only option.

I did a kitchen remodel where the owner was on a budget. So he was going to do the final painting. While I was setting cabinets, I tested the wallpaper behind the refrigerator area. It was stuck solid. I told him that painting over was probably the best bet. He did not listen and so butchered the drywall that we ended up having to replace it all. He learned a lesson that day.

Old 02-22-16, 04:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I just put a piece of the wall paper over some steam. The steam didn't do a lot. I know that's not the same as a steamer. I just thought that I would mention it.

czizzi, I'm willing to try hot water too. I'm not worried about the price of Diff. The customer is very reasonable.

A decision will be made by Thursday. All options might be included.

Old 02-23-16, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I just put a piece of the wall paper over some steam. The steam didn't do a lot. I know that's not the same as a steamer.
Not sure I understand what you mean? Steam or water has little or no effect on the wallpaper itself, but if the wallpaper paste can get wet - it will dissolve!

Old 02-23-16, 07:54 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
So what's the final recommendation from you guys? Do I start with a steamer, hot water, or DIF? Do I use the perforator tool with any or all of the 3 choices?

Old 02-23-16, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I pull as much as I can than perforate and wet, dif or softner or just hot water. I would try hot water first.

Old 02-23-16, 09:08 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
pugsl, so you're saying to pull it dry first?

Old 02-23-16, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes the face portion of the vinyl paper will peel off leaving the backer behind, IF the wallpaper cooperates that way - do it first .... but don't spend a lot of time trying that. The main thing is getting the adhesive wet and the wallpaper wheel helps you get the water past the vinyl.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: