Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Highest load bearing device for a wall with pocket door (can't be too deep)

Old 05-13-16, 02:54 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We got our bath / walk in closet redone. I kept thinking to mount a couple pieces of wood around the closet where we were thinking to hang hooks, etc. Didn't get around to it. Now I want to hang something on the wall that has a pocket door in it. and of course, the studs don't line up with what I want to hang.

I think of doing what's needed to slip a horizontal piece of wood in there through the pocket door opening (but that would involve taking the door mechanism apart?).

So what's the best thing these days for holding weight in sheetrock >>> and doesn't go into the wall that much 3 1/2" stud, door & gap around it is 2". so there's only 3/4" between back of sheetrock and ruining the door?

plastic molleys? the metal expanders? The metal gadgets that screw into the wall (but break off the tip?

Old 05-13-16, 03:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
I like the below screws for drywall when anchors won't work. If screwed in properly they are pretty hard to strip out.
There are stronger anchors, but you are restricted in depth. These screws will hold any towel rack or coat hook easily and not rip out.

The Hillman Group Wall Dog 1-1/2 in. Hi-Lo Steel Pan-Head Phillips Anchors (25-Pack)-376246 - The Home Depot

Old 05-13-16, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
In addition to what Brian recommended.... I have also used togglers for restricted depth applications. The togglers come in different sizes and get sized for the thickness of the sheetrock which is probably 1/2". You may need to use a different length screw than what comes with it.

Shop TOGGLER Drywall Anchor at Lowes

Old 05-15-16, 05:37 AM
B
Handyone - really?! Those look just like a screw? They hold into sheetrock on their own?!

PJ - thanks. Looking at the togglers, those supposedly are the best anchors? And I realized - I have minimal instlalled depth, but for the actual install, I can get the pocket door out of the way if the item is long, then get them to collapse down.

for me being OCD / compulsive, I'll buy a multipack and have loads of extras because they are more cost effective in a multi pack : ) but they vary based on sheet rock thickness? Any trick to knowing thickness short of poking a hole and trying to measure?

Old 05-15-16, 05:48 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Be aware anything longer than 1" will touch your pocket door and will scratch it, if it doesn't stop its action totally.

Old 05-15-16, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
In view of the wall thickness, I would probably use something short, like this. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...YHvmBZ_VSpHWB3

Old 05-17-16, 03:46 PM
Handyone - really?! Those look just like a screw? They hold into sheetrock on their own?!
Yes, really. They hold into drywall (and thin material) very well and will hold quite a bit of weight/resist tear out. I use them for surface mount electrical boxes, heavy cable clamps, towel rack mounting plates, you name it. Anything that doesn't require a countersunk finished screw.

If the screws are exposed and need to look finished, I use the ez anchor, also very strong for most items:
E-Z Ancor Twist-N-Lock #8 x 1-1/4 in. Phillips White Nylon Flat-Head 75 Medium Duty Drywall Anchors with Screws (20-Pack)-25210 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: