Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Wood planks over acoustic tile, go or no go?

Old 05-16-16, 12:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am looking for any advice regarding the installation of wood planks to improve the look of my basement ceiling.

Currently, I have a ceiling that is around 7.5 feet to 8 feet high. The room was once a garage and has since been redone and used as an office. It is 20x17 in size. Problem is, it was redone somewhere in the early to mid eighties and has a dated look.

The first thing I want to spruce up is the ceiling.....it is currently covered in an acoustic tile with a popcorn texture. The tiles are about 12x12 and they are adhered to cement sheet with thin blotches of adhesive. (PS -I did have the tiles tested for asbestos and the test came back negative, so I got that going for me.)

I started to tear one of the tiles off and it took quite a bit of effort....those suckers are really stuck on there. So I started to wonder, can I just put a tongue a groove cedar plank ceiling right over the top of the tile? Has anybody ever done this? What were the results? Pitfalls? anything?

Thanks for any and all feedback....

Old 05-16-16, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
What exactly would you be nailing into? And how long of nails would that require you to use in order to hit something solid? Can you even locate joists through all that? And if it has a "popcorn finish" what makes you think your boards would lay flat?

IMO, you should at a minimum, tear off the tiles.

Old 05-16-16, 01:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The planks I would install are very lightweight....I have seen people nail them right into drywall, no joist...but again, might not be best option. More or less just looking for thoughts or other who have done this....

Old 05-16-16, 01:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'd look into better ways to remove the tiles, like maybe some water will help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: