Applying wall texture

Old 05-28-16, 07:08 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Applying wall texture

We are renovating our first home, and in our area it is quite common and desirable to have textured walls, so we'd like to apply a knockdown texture to the walls of the entire house. The bonus of this is that a portion of the home is old, and this will cut down on our drywall repairs, which we have already mostly completed.
A couple of questions:
1) what is the best option for a knockdown texture? Some sites recommend joint compound, and some dry wall texture that you mix with water like the Homax wall texture sold at the big box stores. We do plan to spray it on either way.
2) what about priming? We have patched a lot of holes in the walls (it was a foreclosure). Do we prime, then texture, then paint? Or texture, prime, paint? Or I thought I'd heard of techniques to mix the texture with primer?

Any other suggestions for first timers?

Thanks!

Old 05-28-16, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have used thinned joint compound, but my knockdown texture always ends up thinner then I like. A pro taper I know said to use unaggregated texture that comes dry in a bag you mix with water. This is found next to the other texture products. This is what he uses: SHEETROCK Brand 50 lb. Unaggregated Wall and Ceiling Spray Texture-545348 - The Home Depot He likes to mix the batch in a large plastic tub (larger then a bucket) and then let it sit covered with plastic for about 8 hours. He then uses a hopper with a compressor.

Normally you will texture, prime, and then paint. A painted wall will take longer to set the mud before you knock it down. Bare drywall will suck the moisture out of the mud fairly quickly. You will have to play a bit until you get the right formula and procedure.

I find it easier to knock down the texture using a wide drywall squeegee rather then a knife.

Old 05-29-16, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always used joint compound for the texture. How much/little you thin the j/c determines how prominent the texture will be. How long you let it set prior to knocking it down also plays a part in how it looks. The only guys I've been around that used the powdered texture are the ones that have the large truck mounted hoppers.

Priming the drywall prior to texture will allow the texture to dry at a more even rate albeit slower. IMO it's an unneeded step. I texture, prime and paint. It's always a good idea to inspect the walls well while the primer is wet as the wet primer/paint will highlight any defects in the finish/texture and it's always best to repair those areas before the finish gets applied.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: