How to install beadboard on ceiling?

Old 07-12-16, 07:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to install beadboard on ceiling?

I want to install beadboard paneling on a cathedral ceiling. There is drywall on the ceiling now, which I have painted with Kilz. I want install the panels with the lines going the same way as the trusses. Do I need to install any other framing around the outside of the room? I'm planning on nailing the panels into the trusses & also using liquid nails. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Old 07-12-16, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
My advice would be to carefully locate all your trusses with a studfinder, then drive a nail on each side of the truss (do this at the top and bottom) so that you can determine the dead center. The snap a chalk line (top to bottom) to show where the center of each truss is. Do this for each truss. The reason you ought to do this is that you are screwed if you put the first sheet on even a little cockeyed and run off your layout.

It will also enable you to look ahead and measure to see if any of the trusses aren't on a 4' on center layout. You will probably need to put up a perimeter trim to cover the edges of your beadboard. Put quarter sized dots of liquid nails every 12" or so in between the trusses. No need to glue where you nail. You may find that renting a drywall lift will really help your installation a lot.

Old 07-12-16, 08:26 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
#1, 100% sure you want to do this? A whole lot harder to take care of then just painting sheet rock.
If I had to do it I'd be using Loctite Power Grab and a narrow crown staple gun and only nailing into the trusses.
With the Power Grab there is no having to deal with having to holding the panels up, pulling them away to wait for it to off gas and reattaching, plus water clean up.
Power Grab Express Interior Construction Adhesive from Loctite Adhesives

Old 07-13-16, 02:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What are your finishing plans for the beadboard? IMO painting them in place isn't that big of a deal [although primer and 1 coat of finish prior to installation will speed it up] but if you wish to use stain - that should be done prior to installation! You'd want to apply the stain, then poly/varnish followed by sanding before you think about nailing it up. I'd stain, poly, sand, poly then install and putty up any nail holes, scuff sand and apply 3rd coat of poly.

Old 07-13-16, 09:12 AM
M
Thank You

Thank you for the responses. I should have stated the bead board is unfinished 4x8 sheets. The finnish is rough & I want it that way. It is for my cabin & I'm going for the rustic look. I am planning on putting a coat of satin water based polyurethane on it before it is installed. I chose to cover the drywall because it had been a popcorn ceiling that I scraped the popcorn off & it needed to have another finish!! I was planning on using a power nailer & nailing to trusses.A friend suggested to use the liquid nail in between the trusses so the panels don't bow as they are heavy. But do I need to frame the outside edges of the room to nail the edges of the paneling to that???

Old 07-13-16, 09:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
There should be framing on each side of the ceiling which the drywall was nailed/screwed to. .... or have I misunderstood the question ??

Old 07-13-16, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The perimeter does not HAVE to be nailed, since you will need to apply a cove or trim of some sort to the entire perimeter, the trim will hold up the ends (in the event there is nothing to nail to).

Old 07-13-16, 05:38 PM
M
Oh yeah ! Thanks again !! After I wrote question about needing framing on the sides of the ceiling I re- thought that & realized that there would be something on the side where the drywall is! Da ! I'm just trying to be careful & make sure I know what to do as I have never done this before. The panels are big & heavy. I think they are at least 1/4 inch thick. I want to put them up One Time & have them stay up forever!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: