Bathroom remodel

Old 09-14-16, 01:49 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom remodel

I'm tearing out the old bathroom/shower and I'm going to put Durock on the walls with a vapor barrier first. On the ceiling, do I need a vapor barrier? I was think no and just put green wall board up. I'm looking to put in a rain shower head in and it's easier to cut and lighter. How is the inside ceiling finished? Anything special?

Old 09-14-16, 02:20 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
There is no need for a vapor barrier behind the Durock, it needs to be water proofed on the outside not the back side.
Durock and grout are not waterproof, why have the water work it's way all the way to the back of the wall?
Custom Building Products RedGard 1 Gal. Waterproofing and Crack Prevention Membrane-LQWAF1 - The Home Depot
You do have a an exhoust fan blowing to the outside, right?

Old 09-14-16, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
...but a vapor barrier behind the cement board has been an industry standard for a long time.

Personally I'd just use regular drywall on the ceiling as it paints better than greenboard and once the drywall is primed and a coat or two of latex enamel applied it has all the protection it needs.

Old 09-14-16, 03:30 PM
H
I should have mentioned that one of the walls is an exterior wall, if that makes a difference. Need to replace the insulation. Should that be faced or unfaced?

Joe, yes I do have an exhaust fan but it needs replacing. I've heard of red guard but the plastic is cheaper plus I already have it.

Marksr, thanks for the input. I think I'll do what you suggested to the ceiling.

Old 09-14-16, 05:07 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Vapor barrier behind the wall has never been a "standard" it was just the way it was done.
Go on the Durock website and see what they suggest.
Amazing how on one DIY site with people that do nothing but tile suggest the exact same as I suggested doing but on this site time and time again they suggested doing the opposite with no logic behind there suggestion.
Why would you want the water to leak though the wall before dealing with the issue?

Old 09-15-16, 08:53 AM
H
Joecaption, I called USG ( Durock makers) and they say to go by the designer of record. Problem is I'm the designer of record. They do say not to us both the plastic and the Red Gard. I am leaning towards using the Red Gard due to its flexibility. Still not sure if I should use faced or unfaced insulation though.

Old 09-15-16, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IF you use the plastic behind the cement board there is no need for the facing on the insulation, not sure if you use redgard instead.

Old 09-15-16, 09:51 AM
H
Thanks marksr, I thought so. If I use both I think I run the risk of trapping moisture between the plastic and Red Gard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: