Thinner walls

Old 11-14-16, 10:35 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thinner walls

K so. 4 level split. The 3rd level i gutted. They poly'd the cement then put batt against cement and studs against cement then dry wall. Ripped all that out. Killed the mold that of course was there. Removed the copper plumbing they used as elec conduit. And removed all the elec since there was junction boxes buried all over behind finished walls. Now. Outside walls. Bottom half is below grade. Top half.... Above. The foundation sticks in 3 3/4" into room. I would like to put 1" rigid foam against cement. Then studs as thin as possible with 1.5" rigid roxul in between 24" studs. Now ive reno'd and built a ton in my life and i get the 2x4 walls so please no comments about normal optimal 2x4 walls. The space... Every inch is needed so. If secured to bottom plate and secured to the 2x4 the builders framed into the top of cement. (1975.) a 2x2 wall that only goes half way up would be very sturdy. Drywalling not issue. Elec moved off this wall. Any issues? Cheers

Old 11-14-16, 11:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Elec moved off this wall. Any issues?
The NEC says in article 210.52 :
Any space 2 ft or more in width, unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets [requires a receptacle].

Old 11-15-16, 05:59 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
If space is the priority, there are foam systems made for basements that have channels cut in the foam for nailers, and channels for wiring. You could use 2" thick and still end up with decent insulation and still thinner than 1" foam and 2x2s. Walls need to be relatively straight though.

Old 11-15-16, 08:38 AM
B
I know this. That's not an issue

Old 11-15-16, 08:41 AM
B
Hey thanks. I have seen that stuff. Ha i have this anal retention about having walls out more then 3/16. Hood thing i dont get paid by the hour lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: