Load bearing wall?

Old 11-24-16, 03:59 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Load bearing wall?

There is a wall(1) between the kitchen and dining room that would seem to be load bearing based on what I've read but there are a couple reasons why I believe it might not be. I would like to remove this wall. I'm looking for some opinions before I take the next step in checking to see if wall 1 is load bearing.

Here are the reasons that suggest wall 1 is load bearing:
The wall (1) is perpendicular to the floor joist in the basement and directly above a beam in the basement. It is also centrally located in the house.

Reasons I feel wall 1 might not be:
Despite the reasons above the wall 1 only runs half way across the house. It is perpendicular to the roof peak. There is another wall(2) that runs the whole length of the house with the exception of the stairs on the first floor and second floor. This wall(2) also is centrally located in the house and runs directly below the roof peak.

Old 11-24-16, 04:15 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
So if I follow you, this wall is on the first floor of a two story home?

Do the ceiling joists above wall 1 break over the wall? In other words, do the ceiling joists run from the exterior wall to wall 1 and then a separate joist runs from wall 1 to the other exterior wall?

If they do break over the wall then it is load bearing. If they do not, meaning they are continuous across the top of wall 1, then it may be load bearing or it may not; additional information would be required.

Old 11-25-16, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Andrew. In addition to Paul's comments, we could use a picture or two of the wall, standing back a little and clarify if it is basement plus two stories, or just a single story. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-25-16, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paul explained how to look for signs very well.

It's hard to say without being there. If this is your range wall, it might just be there for mechanical.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: