Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Removing and replacing tile walls in bath?

Old 12-15-16, 12:00 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My dilemma: 4 ft. high section of tile covers 3 walls in small bathroom. I'd like to remove it, but I've discovered that it was installed in a thick bed of cement, back in the 50's. One wall faces exterior, and has no insulation at all, so the tiles conduct the cold really well, and it travels through the room. Would you risk trying to remove it, or just find a way to cover it somehow? Since the room is so small, re-framing isn't an option. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-15-16, 12:27 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
No matter what you cover it with the wall will still be cold unless you bite the bullet and get that wall opened up, and add the needed fire blocking, air sealing, and insulation.
Little late in the year do be doing it from the outside.

Old 12-15-16, 12:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Reframing? Like leaving the tile and building new walls inside of it? Wouldn't even consider something like that.

Remove the tile, address the insulation issues, install backer board and put up new tile.

Old 12-15-16, 01:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Would you risk trying to remove it, or just find a way to cover it somehow?
There is no risk in removing a mortar bed except it's hard work. I do one or two a week.
Are you worried you might damage something other than the walls in the process?

There are plenty of people here that can advise on a tear-out.
If you are thinking about just ripping out the exterior wall and saving the other two tiled walls, that's not an option or wouldn't be worth it.

You're in a good situation maybe, rip it all out. It's much easier to remove a mortar bed if you're not concerned with wall damage.

Old 12-15-16, 02:56 PM
F
Thanks to all for your input. Luckily, if I decide to do the demo, it's all inside work. Exterior is brick (which is part of the temperature problem). Sadly, I already opened up the top part of the exterior-facing wall, and tried using foam board to insulate it a bit (because there's only 1/2" of air space to work with), and it didn't help. Getting rid of that tile seems like the only option, at this point, and I'm not sure that will help much, either.

Old 12-15-16, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What is between the tile and the brick? should be more than 1/2" .... or am I totally misunderstanding what you have going on?

Old 12-15-16, 04:47 PM
F
What is between the tile and the brick? should be more than 1/2" .... or am I totally misunderstanding what you have going on?
marksr: The construction was brick/cinder block, with drywall over 1x3's, on the upper wall, and cement bed/tile on the bottom section. No 2x4's on the exterior wall, so the air space on the top part was between 1/2 and 3/4" (and irregular, because of the masonry). DIY nightmare. Of course, the tile wraps behind both the toilet and vanity, so it's all gotta go, once you start.

Old 12-16-16, 02:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd consider removing the 1x3 furring strips and replacing them with 2xs. I'd then fill the cavities with foam making along with a vapor barrier before redoing the wall/tile. Making the room 3/4" smaller shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Old 12-16-16, 09:47 AM
F
That's a good option, though it involves ripping out all the work I already did on the top portion of the ext-facing wall. It will also create a bit of a challenge where the tub's tile continues into that wall, and above the tub's tile, as well. I know it's the best approach, though. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: