Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Why are their bubbles when putting mud on drywall joints?

Old 01-15-17, 07:41 AM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure the mud that I'm using bubbles after like 1 minute or two when I put it on the wall.

Name:  bubble.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  10.6 KB

This is the mud I'm using that's causing bubbles.

Name:  lightweight-mud.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  26.4 KB

I have used following small bucket of mud and it does not create bubbles. Is it the mud itself or just that I don't know how to use it?
Name:  goodmud.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  30.6 KB

Old 01-15-17, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Air bubbles are usually introduced into the mud from aggressive mixing. It's not a big deal, let it dry, sand and apply a thin coat to fill in the minute depressions left by the bubbles.

Old 01-15-17, 10:18 AM
C
Is there a way to minimize this bubbles in the first place? I still have a half bucket of this mud. You're saying it's due to an aggressive mixing, but it's a premix from the local store. Does this mean I just have to switch brand?

Old 01-15-17, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The mud applies better if you mix it, I usually thin it just a little. I'm not familiar with Mud Boss brand but there isn't a big difference between brands of j/c. You might have just got a batch that got air mixed in somehow. If I got a 2nd bucket of that brand and it did the same thing - I'd blame the brand.

Old 01-15-17, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I have noticed a difference between mud brands. Some are creamier then others. USG is my go to brand (the plus 3 light weight) but lately a taper friend of mine said to try ProForm Lite Blue Joint Compound and I found it to be better. I can only get it at one place retail (Menards) otherwise drywall supply companies carry it.

Some tapers I have seen add dish soap to their mud to make it smoother and pock less.

Old 01-15-17, 01:45 PM
C
Thanks, Tolyn. I purchased my from Menards. I guess I'll have try the ProForm Lite Blue next time. However, as far as the the one I have right now, are there any ways I can minimize the bubbles when I use it?

Old 01-15-17, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You could try the soap trick, although I have never done it. Just something I have seen pros do.
Otherwise, when I get bubbles (you can hear them pop like Rice Crispies) I will work the mud a few more times to get the air out.

Old 01-15-17, 02:40 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do a light mix turning it in the pan before you apply it will minimize bubbles. 5 or 6 turns smashing into the side of the mud pan is usually sufficient. Using it straight out of the tub sometimes causes bubbles.

Old 01-15-17, 03:54 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Is this new work on new board or are you spreading over paint?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: