Are my bathroom tub walls square?

Old 01-29-17, 07:05 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are my bathroom tub walls square?

i originally had some type of thick plastic sheets on bathroom wall. before i ripped them out i put a square in each corner and they appeared to be very square.

i'm putting up a tile wall so the underlayment is going to be 1/2 cement board. i'd like to assume that when i put up the boards that the wall will be square? Is there a best method for figuring this stuff out before putting up the wall? it seems that every 2x4 in the wall isn't perfectly flat against the next, so i'm starting to get concerned. thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-29-17, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tack a string in one corner and pull it across the studs. If it touches (reasonably) all the studs when pulled tight, the the wall is in alignment. That would be more of a criterion than the three walls being perfectly square with each other. No house has square walls.

If any of the studs stick proud of your string you can make cut 2/3 through the stud straight across and drive a screw at an angle across the cut to pull the stud more back in line. Likewise if the stud is behind the line, you can make that same cut and drive two shims across the cut, adjusting it until it touches the string, then drive a screw through it. How much deviation are you seeing?

Old 01-29-17, 07:24 AM
D
i'd like to assume that when i put up the boards that the wall will be square?
I don't know if that's a good idea. Where I live nothing is square except some of the people.

Old 01-29-17, 09:03 AM
O
not much maybe a couple of the 2x4's running vertical (ladder) are set back less than 1/4

trying to visualize your method for using the screw and cut to align studs.

Old 01-29-17, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The thing that makes most tile jobs look bad is when the floor is not square and the walls are not PLUMB. To check that, place a LONG level on each wall. You can also use it as a straightedge to check that all the studs are aligned in the same plane... not weaving in and out.) If you discover that a wall is out of plumb, you can shim the studs prior to installing your cement board, so that once it is installed, the walls will be plumb.

Plumb walls will also be PARALLEL, so you can double check the distance between walls. And if you try to install your cement board plumb and level, it will alert you to anything that is out of plumb. (If your cement board has a taper, so will your tile!)

Old 01-29-17, 10:09 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No more than what you have, do what Brant says and just shim it. I have done basement remodeling where studs we buy are way out of plumb due to warping, and sometimes replacing is not the answer, so we just kerf them and either shim or draw them down to plumb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: