Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Tools / tips to remove tile without damaging walls

Old 02-17-17, 07:41 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am doing a gut remodel of my bathroom. Two of the walls, one behind the vanity / toilet and the back wall, have triple thick walls. Sheetrock / cellotex ?? / sheetrock. These two walls are "exterior" walls (another apartment unit is behind it). I'd prefer to leave these walls intact.

Is there a tool / technique you guys prefer to use remove the tile without damaging the sheetrock?

I'd prefer to not break the tile to make cleanup easier.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-17, 08:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Good luck. When you come up with something, be sure to patent it before telling anyone else.

Old 02-17-17, 08:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Cleanup is quick and easy so I wouldn't let that influence removal of the tiles. Personally since your doing a gut job I would tear it down to the studs and not go through all the labor to carefully remove each tile without breaking. Sheetrock isn't great in bathrooms so I'd plan on replacing it with something more moisture resistant like green board. So, I'd just start ripping and hope to get chunks of sheetrock off with the tile still attached so you can carry bigger pieces out to the dumpster.

Old 02-17-17, 10:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
These two walls are "exterior" walls (another apartment unit is behind it). I'd prefer to leave these walls intact.
Could you further explain that? Do you intend to leave the tile? or just the drywall? Is any of this a wet area? It shouldn't be a big deal to remove just the top layer of drywall, repair any damage to the middle layer and then laminate new drywall over it.

Old 02-17-17, 01:45 PM
B
great idea! these are not wet areas - toilet and vanity against these walls. I DO NOT want to keep the tile. Sorry I should have made that clearer.

What tool do you suggest cutting just one layer of sheetrock off with? Angle grinder? How can i get in there so i can pry out one layer?

Old 02-17-17, 02:56 PM
Here's a picture of a tile splash I tore out yesterday, you can see the damage is severe. The tile wouldn't come off.

I used a multi-tool to cut out all the drywall. This is because there was nothing left but the paper backing. In your case you would only cut one layer and replace it.

If you only have damaged front paper torn off with minor pockets, you might get lucky and only have to skim coat the wall.

This is what I call severe:

Name:  IMG_0323.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  38.4 KB

Old 02-18-17, 04:37 AM
B
I've got to take down two walls : one is 9x10 the other 4 x 10. And I will take it down in sections. A tool-guy friend told me a oscillating multi-tool will too slow and will likely die during the project.

He recommended using a circular saw with a depth guide.

Old 02-18-17, 04:52 AM
B
not sure why but I posted 2x....

Old 02-18-17, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You don't need to cut out the entire wall. Basically you just need to get a portion started, you should be able to rip/pry off the rest.

Old 02-18-17, 10:08 AM
B
i'm afraid i'd damage the wall behind it by prying it. I bought an angle grinder with a depth guide and vacuum attachment. might be overkill. $$$

Old 02-18-17, 11:13 AM
I'm not saying an angle grinder is a bad idea, but I tear out tile about 2 times a week and have no use for one.

Obviously, be prepared for a lot of dust using the angle grinder and it should make short work of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: