Any info on grid locking system?

Old 02-21-17, 08:50 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Any info on grid locking system?

I have a suspended ceiling and I need to move one of the cross Ts to do some work. They appear to be locked into one another with a clip on the end. Anyone know how to release this clip, without damaging it, so I can take down the piece and then reinstall when done? Thanks!

Old 02-21-17, 09:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Without seeing what you have it's hard to give specifics. Can you post a picture of how your's are connected. Usually the rails are long and continuous in one direction and are not easily removed. The shorter cross pieces can be removed. Often it's just a tab going into a slot so you have to remove the surrounding tiles so you can move the long rail to the side so the tab can pull out of the slot.

Old 02-21-17, 10:28 AM
E
Thanks for the reply Pilot Dane. I have attached a close up of the grid clip ends. This system looks to be pretty much the standard out there from 15-20 years ago: metal t's locking into each other. I see the long rail you mention so I will try removing some tile but it strikes me that with all the cross t's in place, this is not going to be easy!!

So you mention that I just need to pull on the cross t and it should release? I notice another cross piece going into the same notch. Are they attached to one another at all?

Name:  20170221_131311.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  26.8 KB

Old 02-21-17, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You'll need to remove the tile opposite this tee. There is a small brass catch that you can pinch with needle nose pliers and release the tee. However, if the grid is rigid, you may have to bend the tab once it starts to work loose.

Old 02-21-17, 02:17 PM
E
Thanks Chandler--Is the brass catch you mention on the left side or the right side of the tee. I'm guessing it's on the right as you mentioned to remove the opposite tile???

Old 02-21-17, 03:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Which side the little tab is on will depend on which side you are standing. So, if you don't see it on your side... it is on the other side. Some of the tabs are soft enough you can push them in with your finger while tougher ones require pliers or a screwdriver pushing on the tab.

There are also cross pieces that drop in place. They still have the tab in slot but instead of a little springy tab on the side it just drops down into a notch. So all you have to do is lift up and pull the cross piece out. Still you have to first remove the adjoining tiles to be able to move the long runner.

Old 02-21-17, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have to ask............why do you need to remove part of the grid? Curious.

Old 02-22-17, 05:12 AM
E
Fair question, Chandler. I have a return air duct directly above that tee that I had to cut to run some electrical. I cut it rather crudely and now need to cut out a piece and repair it properly. I can probably work around the tee but thought if it was easy enough to take out it would help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: