Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Interior stone veneer accent wall project

Old 03-02-17, 05:39 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am about to finish an interior wall in my house with a mounted TV and electrical fireplace but am a bit confused about a couple things. The fireplace I am getting is wall mounted but it says it can be recessed as well, am I getting the right one? It will be on the inside of an exterior wall, can it still be recessed, by cutting into the studs, or do I have to build some kind of box to house the fireplace?
Also the wall has two windows, do I remove the trim around the windows and put stone right up to the opening or should I leave the trim and just finish up to the trim?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-17, 06:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A link for your fireplace could be helpful. How deep is the fireplace? If you recess it into the wall it has to go somewhere. Usually that means framing out an extension on the exterior side, basically a box with a shed roof. You'll also need to know if that wall is load bearing!

Old 03-02-17, 09:34 AM
M
Old 03-02-17, 01:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'm not too swift when it comes to metric measurements but it looks like it might fit in the wall cavity [reframed to fit] but that might leave you without any insulation behind it. A lot depends how thick your wall is compared to the depth of the fireplace.

The wall would need to be reframed similar to how you would a door opening except sized for the fireplace. The size of the header will depend on what is above the wall, is it load bearing?

Old 03-02-17, 05:37 PM
I would leave the window trim in place and surface mount the fireplace.
It can be recessed, but you already have two windows there and cutting out more studs and adding another header is a lot of work and will weaken the wall further.
As mark said, you will also lose your insulation in the wall.
It looks like the fireplace is only 4.2" deep, which I think will look nice wall hung.

I looked at the specs, the fireplace is 1500 watts. That will probably require you run a new dedicated 20amp circuit.

Old 03-03-17, 02:58 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
I have a similar "fireplace" in my basement, it's about the same configuration as a wall mounted TV.

Can it be recessed, yes, just as if you built a pocket to recess a tv. Are you going to cut into your existing wall, no, a new wall would have to be built on the inside of your current wall which means everything comes off and everything gets reinstalled (drywall, trim, molding),

Your vent might be a problem, looks pretty close to the wall.

You mention stone, if you are referring to some type of decorative wall stone this could be installed around the TV and fireplace to provide a semi recessed wall.

You probably will not need a dedicated electrical circuit, it's 1500 watts, ours is like 2500, about the same as a hair dryer, but we never use the heat function, really wont heat much.

Name:  IMG_20150110_155240_535.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  26.3 KB

Old 03-06-17, 11:40 AM
M
Nice fireplace.
I think we're just going to mount both the TV and the fireplace. I will give us more options in the event that we want to change the configuration of the room.
Recessing it would require too much work and likely make it look award. We will move the outlets so that they are hidden behind.