Ceiling access panel over drywall

Old 04-10-17, 01:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling access panel over drywall

I recently had some plumbing work done - added water shutoff valves in the basement ceiling. The basement is finished - all the ceiling have a drywall finish. I would like to add a ceiling access door to get to the shutoff valves. The shutoff valves are close to each other, but they span a floor joist - so one valve on each side of the above level floor joist. So do I need to install 2 access panels or do they sell access panels that can cross over the floor joist? The ceiling drywall is 5/8", so the maximum recess of the access panel could only be 5/8" deep before it hits the floor joist.

Thanks - Adam.

Old 04-10-17, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
There are many different types and sizes of access panels. Some with trim rings and some without. Yes.... they can span over a floor joist. The following is a generic link to panels at the depot.

access panels - Depot

Old 04-10-17, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
OF the page Pete mentioned, I like this one best to span across the joist. You may have to do a little Dremel work where it crosses the joist, but it has a lock and is made for ceiling work.

Acudor Products 12 in. x 12 in. Metal Wall or Ceiling Access Panel-Z91212SCWH - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: