suspended ceiling around pipes

Old 04-26-17, 04:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
suspended ceiling around pipes

Hello again! I am putting up a suspended ceiling in my new bathroom and using 2x2 PVC-material tiles. I have a large cast iron pipe that will be exposed in the bathroom, but it means I need to cut the ceiling tiles out around this pipe and I'm not sure what to use to make it look nice and professional.

The tiles cut easily with a utility knife but trying to get the right curvature around the pipe this way seems difficult.

Similarly, if the cut is a little rough (or even if it's not), Is there any sort of trim or foam that's white that I could put between the tile and the pipe? I thought about trying to caulk it but I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm open to any ideas! thanks as always!

Attached Images   
Old 04-26-17, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Measure from the installed panel grid to the center of the pipe in both directions. This will be center for your hole, whether it be 2 1/2" more or less. Drill or cut a hole in the panel so you have a round hole. Then split the panel to the shortest dimension edge. You can snap the panel around the pipe pretty easily. IF not, or if the panel is too thick, you may have to cut the 2 1/2" or so hole dimension to the edge making a U out of your cut, then replace the short piece and glue it in place.

Old 04-26-17, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Ceiling guys I work with cover any boo-boos with white Dap caulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: