Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

bed fiberglass tape or push thinset through?

Old 07-02-17, 10:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

For cementboard joints, I see that some people push thinset into cement board joints, then bed mesh tape in and skim coat... while other people are applying the mesh tape to the joint then pushing the thinset through as you would mesh tape on a drywall joint.

Any pro tips on the proper mesh tape cement board joint for a tile tub surround?

Old 07-02-17, 01:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I don't think it's as critical as you're making it out to be. Either way thinset gets forced into the joint between sheets and the mesh tape gets sealed in with a skim coat.

Old 07-02-17, 02:01 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
then bed mesh tape in and skim coat.
Fiberglass tape, that's what I always do.

No corners, never an issue, never want to redo tile so I will continue with that step!

Old 07-02-17, 02:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I tape everything off first (the tape is sticky) and then return and thinset over the top of it. I find this way, you have less of a chance of using too much thinset and creating a hump. The tape also has a tendency to walk and move when you thinset first so you are cautious as to how you work it which leads to too much thinset being left in the joint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: