Vertical indentations in wall


Old 07-05-17, 04:12 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 7
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical indentations in wall

I'm about to start re-painting several of the rooms in a house I just bought, and one of the rooms, the living room, has these vertical indentions running down the wall every 16 inches. It's the only room in the house like this. The house was built in 1984. What are these lines?

Name:  IMG_20170705_190324122.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  10.8 KB
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-17, 05:25 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,139
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Those lines would almost indicate wood panels or paneling.

Do you know what the surface material is there ?
Do you know if the idents are on the wall studs ?
Old 07-06-17, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,650
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
The uniformity of the indentations sure makes it sound like paneling that some one has painted over. You could fill those grooves with joint compound but IMO they look better left alone. If the fill isn't don't perfectly the repair looks worse.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: