Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of ceiling popcorn that was primed with oil

Old 08-31-17, 11:41 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I have popcorn ceilings that I primed with oil paint based on the advise of the day (1985). Fast forward to 2017 and the ceilings must go. The oil primer did its job and has turned the ceilings into rock. I was wondering about the different methods available to go after this job. I had one quote say they use a sanding system. Another said he would skim coat over the popcorn to make it smooth, He also said the sanding system leaves a lot of dust even though it claims to trap a lot of the dust. He said skimming would save time and money. I guess another option would be to take down the ceilings and put up new board but I'm going to avoid that one until it is a last option.

My question is, are there any other methods that people are using to get rid of popcorn ceilings that have been painted with oil paint? Also, are there advantages and disadvantages to those methods?

Thanks

Old 08-31-17, 11:57 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Those are the basic options. Sanding would be a total mess. He's right about that. A good skim coat guy can make it look great. A 4th option would be to sheet rock over it. How big is the room?

Old 08-31-17, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd still try to scrape off what I could. Often scraping off the protruding portion of the popcorn will allow moisture misted on it to soften the rest so it can be removed. Either way a skim coat is generally advised before priming/painting.

Old 08-31-17, 12:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm with Mark on the hybrid approach - scrape the big stuff and then skim coat.

Old 09-01-17, 10:00 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
"I'm with Mark on the hybrid approach - scrape the big stuff and then skim coat. "
I think marksr means scrape then moisten and scrape again.. Getting some of it cut off so water can penetrate will loosen the rest.

BUT if you go the route of leaving it and skimming over it I sure would like to know how it works and what material you used to do it.
Since you will probably skim it either way, saving the step and mess of removal sounds appealing to me. I have heard of it I've just been afraid to try it.

Old 09-01-17, 10:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yep, you're right - I missed the part about moistening when I read it the first time....

Old 09-01-17, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I meant to dry scrape first, then spray a mist of water on it so you can loosen and scrape the rest. Not a lot of fun but it generally works decent.

Old 09-01-17, 10:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Oh, I get it - if you scrape off the top, the water might actually be able to penetrate and loosen some or all of the rest of it.

Old 09-01-17, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the oil primer doesn't penetrate all the way thru the texture. Once you scrape off some of the texture, the exposed areas will take on moisture and soften up. Not as easy as it is when un painted but still doable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: