Sistering ceiling joists

Old 09-04-17, 02:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sistering ceiling joists

Hello, first time posting. Recently moved into a new house with detached garage.
The previous owner made room for the chain to the garage door opener by cutting 4"-6" sections out of the ceiling joists. All that is actually needed is 1"-2". I want to reinforce these before winter and heavy snow puts a strain in this roof. Like I said this is my first house so I'm encountering things I've never dealt with before. Just looking for some guidance on what to do.

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-17, 03:05 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't think that you have to sister the joists although that would be ideal. I think that some steel plates bolted where the notches are will be enough.

Old 09-04-17, 03:30 PM
J
I'll take that into consideration. When you say sistering would be ideal, are you assuming that's not an option? I'd rather not take a shortcut on this.

Old 09-04-17, 03:40 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not that it isn't an option. Just remember that sistering requires the board to go from top plate to top plate. You can't sister half of the joist & you have to use full length boards. What's the width of the garage? It's not going to be easy to get a board into position. If you want to try it buy one 2x12 or whatever it is. You wouldn't have to sister every joist. I still think that steel plates are sufficient.

Old 09-05-17, 04:56 AM
J
Alright, what type of steel plates am I looking for here?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: