Removing island hood vent/surround

Old 09-04-17, 05:48 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing island hood vent/surround

I'm currently in the midst of a kitchen renovation. We would like to take down the island hood vent and structure above it that's connecting all the way to the ceiling. There is a single exhaust pipe running all the way up. Is this realistic to remove the entire structure as it's obstructive in the kitchen. Also what kind of ceiling repair would be needed? thank you!

Name:  hood vent.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  87.2 KB

Last edited by Ajsmith895; 09-04-17 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks like there are 4 cabinets attached to the bottom of that vent hood. If that's the case there is some major framing inside that structure to hold up all that weight. The 4 cabinets would be removed first and then you would work your way upwards.

I can foresee some major repair work there. A lot of interior framing to remove.

Old 09-05-17, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo but do you have a textured ceiling? If so that will complicate the repair as it can take some skill to recreate the same textured finish. If you ceiling is smooth then it's a pretty simple and easy sheetrock repair.

Old 09-05-17, 06:39 AM
I'm pretty sure all the ceiling joists would have been left intact and the box was attached to the joists. So like Pete said, just start at the bottom and work your way up. Take it out in pieces if needed.
Once the box is out, that should just leave you with a hole in the ceiling, the duct and an electrical cable.
I would use the duct and cable to install a free-hanging hood.
As far as the ceiling I would patch and retexture the entire ceiling. That's the best way to ensure it looks original and untouched.
If you can't patch, skimcoat and texture the ceiling yourself, you should be able to get it done for around $300.00. Pro drywallers are fast.

The only reason the box is so big is to hold up the cabinets. Usually you are just hiding the duct.

Old 09-06-17, 06:54 AM
A
Thank you for your replies, we talked to someone who sells range hoods and they told us because of where the stove top is that it would be hard to put a free range hood, its off center from where the duct is. I'm sure it's possible someway, however for our budget right now we are just going to take down the structure and patch it. I'll definitely hire someone to fix the ceiling if it's around $300, the ceiling is textured. Do you think it's possible for a semi-handy couple to take the whole structure down going from the cabinets and up? And if we were to hire someone to do the whole job, what do u think a fair price is?

Old 09-06-17, 09:10 AM
I would advise you remove the box yourself and save the money for drywall repair, the drywall repair takes a lot more talent and tools.
Here's the basic steps I would take:
Cover the cook top with plywood and cover the island with a tarp or moving blanket.
Shut off electric and remove the vent hood, cap off the wires.
Place large boxes or tool boxes under the cabinets and remove them one by one. There will be screws overhead and screws holding the face frames together.
Start removing the drywall at the top. Use a utility knife to score around the ceiling. Use a drywall saw to cut each side panel down the middle. The cuts will allow you to remove the drywall in as large of pieces as possible.

Once the upper drywall is removed, you can see if you can knock off the lower box in one piece or if you need to remove that drywall and take it down in pieces.
If you don't own a catspaw for removing nails, I would get one. Here's an example:
HART 12 in. Double Ended Nail Puller-HNP012 - The Home Depot

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-17, 11:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I would not give up on a free hanging vent hood. Once you get the existing monster down you'll be able to see better what you have. Youi might get lucky and the duct may be lined up where you need. More likely you'll see that it's a simple matter to redirect the ducting that's in the attic to make it come out where you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: