Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Drywall mud against copper and electrical piping..?

Old 10-03-17, 07:15 AM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

We are adding 5/8" type X drywall to the garage ceiling to meet fire code as part of a remodel. We have some copper piping and electrical conduit running around the ceiling at the bottom of the studs. We found out the we do not have to mess with the pipes and are allowed to lay drywall up to the pipes on either side and mud at the seams. Someone suggested we apply an oil based sealant to the pipes to prevent corrosion resulting between the mud and the metal. Does that sound right? And if so would just any oil based paint work?

Old 10-03-17, 08:25 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you sure that you have to mud against the pipes? I did a job exactly like that for the same reason, to bring it up to code. Codes change from place to place. I didn't mud against the pipes & it passed.

Old 10-03-17, 03:10 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I asked the inspector when he was out for the framing inspection what he would want to see for the garage ceiling and he said he wanted board up to pipes and then sealed at pipes with mud. So I'm definitely going to do that- I just want to make sure my pipes don't turn green or something as a result of the mud..

Old 10-03-17, 05:20 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was told to use caulking but follow whatever your guy said. It's his decision.

Old 10-03-17, 06:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Its not going to cause any issues, mud, prime paint, all good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: