Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Paint spackle before attaching new backsplash?

Old 10-18-17, 06:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I tore off the old Formica backsplash and installed my new vanity top. Of course when I took off the old backsplash I had to spackle and sand the drywall in those areas. Do I have to paint the spackled areas that the new backsplash will attach to via 100% silicone or will it be strong enough with just the spackle and silicone holding the backsplash to the wall?

Thanks

Old 10-18-17, 09:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well I primed in with Zinser 123 before attaching the backsplash to the vanity and it worked great!

Old 10-19-17, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Generally it's better to at least prime the bare joint compound first. The silicone will create a better bond to the primer/paint than it will will to bare gypsum - you did good.

Old 10-19-17, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You made the right decision though and priming was a good idea. Sheet rock mud is really soft. If you rub your hand over dried mud it will leave white chalk on your hands. It's one situation where paint makes something stronger and provides a better bonding surface. There is also a chance in the future that your back splash might be removed without tearing up the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: