Shower Ceiling

Old 11-09-17, 08:15 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Ceiling

Hi guys,

I am in the process of having my bathroom remodeled and yesterday was the drywall and cement board day. I noticed when I got home that the shower walls had Durock and was sealed with some pink/red stuff, but the ceiling did not. Will this be a problem?

The ceiling had drywall and was plastered (along with the rest of the bathroom) and will be tiled.

TIA

Old 11-09-17, 08:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Are you tiling or painting the ceiling? either way the ceiling should be fine. Any water that gets on the ceiling will be protected by the tile or latex enamel paint - not like it can set there and soak in.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-09-17, 09:03 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I recently posted about a problem I had with a wall/ceiling joint in a shower. See that here for more info: Shower issue: drywall & latex paint. Moisture from steam (not directly wetted) penetrated the joint, dissolved the surface of the joint compound and caused the latex paint to begin peeling.

I scraped off the loose joint compound and ran a bead of caulk at the wall/ceiling joint all around the shower. Have not had any problem since.

If the red/pink stuff you referenced is joint compound of some sort and is not waterproof, you could eventually have a problem similar to mine. I suggest you caulk that joint whether the ceiling is tiled or not. If tiling, caulk the joint after the tile is installed. If the ceiling is to be painted you could caulk the joint after painting to seal the edge of the paint layer. Some caulks are not paintable so caulking first and painting over it may not seal the joint satisfactorily.

Old 11-09-17, 09:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume the red stuff was Red Gard - used to seal the cement board. You need to use it if you don't have a moisture barrier behind the cement board.
All tile corners should be caulked, often with a grout matched caulk. When the ceiling gets painted you should always caulk the tile to the wall/ceiling.

Old 11-09-17, 09:16 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, the red stuff was Red Gard.

The ceiling will be tiled over the plaster/drywall. I was just worried that even with the tile, the steam and maybe occasional splash (fairly low ceiling) would cause problems.

Old 11-09-17, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It shouldn't be an issue as the drops of moisture are more apt to fall down than soak up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: