stairwell wall repair

Old 12-26-17, 08:02 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stairwell wall repair

This is a stairwell wall in my 100 year old house. (3 steps to a side door). Someone had liquid nailed paneling onto the wall and I've now removed it. This is what I'm looking at. Looking for ideas on how to proceed. Is the pink thin dryway and the grey concrete? (why would it be concrete here?). I'd like to get to a clean solid paintable wall. I 'm tempted just to scrape off the loose pink stuff (the pink is paint) and spackle the crap out of it but I read spackle doesn't stick to concrete. But maybe it's not concrete? Any help appreciated

Attached Images  
Old 12-26-17, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's likely plaster and lathe if its an interior wood 2x4 framed wall and not an exterior concrete wall. The cracks will show up again if you tetexture it. You could look into removing the plaster and lathe but we can't say if that's a good idea or not without a wider angle shot showing more of the wall and stairs.

Old 12-26-17, 08:20 AM
P
Well it's good news that you think the grey is just plaster . You're right that it's an interior wall. I'm not too troubled by the crack coming back because of where it is. What should i use to texture the wall?

Old 12-26-17, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
You are right that you should chip off the top layer if it is loose. Clean off any glue you can on the parts that are still bonded well. I would probably mix up some lightweight setting compound... 20 or 45 min easy sand. Give it a coat or two of that with a 12" knife. Then skim it with joint compound and sand it down flat.

Old 12-26-17, 08:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ideally you'd scrape off the loose and replaster .... but plaster is a little out of my skill set, I'd scrape off the loose and fill those areas in with either joint compound or a setting compound like Durabond. If the base coat is dusty - prime it first.

Old 12-26-17, 09:19 AM
P
thanks so much for the help

Old 12-31-17, 07:38 AM
P
plaster washer

I wanted to post an update. A fb friend told me about 'plaster washers' . The re-attach the plaster to the lathe. I had to order them from amazon because local places didn't carry them and watch some videos so they work like a charm and gave me a good solid wall to apply layers of joint compound, etc. I'm so happy with how it's turned out.

Attached Images   
Old 12-31-17, 08:41 AM
That is a good tip, I never heard of Plaster Washers but I can see how they would help a great deal.
Thanks for the info.

Old 12-31-17, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
I didnt know the base layer of plaster was loose.

Old 12-31-17, 09:19 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They sell large sheets of plaster repair mesh that looks like the regular mesh joint tape only it comes in a 3 ft wide roll. You embed it into the plaster with setting type compound and then add successive layers to build it up ad smooth it out. Saw that big box orange carries this in stock in my area. Might be something to look into. I use it when I have to blend a plaster wall into a sheetrock wall during bathroom remodels when the gaps and blow out is wider than traditional joint tape.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Go...50-U/202076145

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: