Partition wall with ceiling

Old 03-11-18, 08:22 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am looking for advice on building a partition wall to divide a 20' wide x 40' long room. I want to essentially add an extra room upstairs for storage, and create 2 rooms from one downstairs.. My current Great Room has a vaulted, or cathedral ceiling . I have attached a couple photos.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-18, 08:29 AM
D

I am looking for advice on building a partition wall to divide a 20' wide x 40' long room. I want to essentially add an extra room upstairs for storage, and create 2 rooms from one downstairs.. My current Great Room has a vaulted, or cathedral ceiling . I have attached a couple photos.

Attached Images  

Last edited by drek55; 03-11-18 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Adding a ohoto
Old 03-11-18, 08:49 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
You do realize the aesthetic looks of the home's interior will be ruined. You also want a load bearing wall with a floor to hold material. I'm no architect or engineer but I think you will need to employ their expertise to figure out how to attach to the floor and the sides of outside wall (the side with then window). I also assume you will need to allow for electrical and or lighting for the "new" landing. Also what about access? Will you use a ladder or will you want a stair? And last but not least will it conform to local codes?

Old 03-11-18, 03:06 PM
D
There is a full staircase to the upstairs. The railed opening in the pic is the center room of the upstairs. I do no consider that ugly vaulted ceiling to be aesthetically pleasing .thus no loss to me. At all. I am well aware of my local building codes.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-11-18 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Deleted rude reply comments. see next post.
Old 03-11-18, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 125 Votes on 97 Posts
What are you talking about??? What good old boys are you referring to? Sometimes questions are asked because more info is needed to give a better answer. We don't know what's what.
Members and pros are also giving their free time and free advice to help others! I only see one rude person here.

Old 03-11-18, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I deleted the rude parts of your post. Nothing was said about windows...where did you see that? Possibly another Forum you posted the same question in? As to the ladder, it was asked since you hadn't said how it would be accessed...you even answered the question in the first line of your next post.

It was recommended you check with an engineer or architect about attachment and structure. We have no idea if you have an idea of how to do that or not.

You know all about local codes, then why are you asking people all over the country? Apparently you know what you want and how to build it? Submit your plans to local authorities and carry on....

Now, if you have specific questions on "HOW" or "What to plan for", perhaps you can explain a bit more of your intended route of construction.

As to the esthetics, that's purely personal and Norm was just expressing his.

Please temper any further remarks.

Old 03-11-18, 08:51 PM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
I guess I should should be pleased I did not see the OP's full response to my post. Didn't think I said anything disparaging.