Are these posts/studs safe to remove?

Old 08-07-18, 01:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are these posts/studs safe to remove?

Hello!

I've seen a few similar posts to this but I'm a newby and wanted to get some feedback for my own specific situation.

I want to remove the top part of the wall that separates a big 2-level closet from the rest of the room, to provide easier access to the upper storage area. Having removed a section of drywall, I've found a few studs/posts which I would like to remove. I've indicated them in order of priority: 1 most important to remove, 3 least important. I assume a similar arrangement of studs/posts exists on the right-hand side of the opening. Can you tell me if this is safe to do? I live on the top floor of a triplex in Montreal built around 1900.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy.

Attached Images   
Old 08-07-18, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You would think so... there is no header above it. But you haven't seen or told us what's in the ceiling above, so we can't be 100% sure. If those ceiling joists are parallel to the closet wall then yes, it can definitely all come out.

Old 08-08-18, 09:52 AM
J
Much thanks for the prompt reply XSleeper! I got my hands on a stud finder and sadly, it looks like the ceiling joists are perpendicular to the closet wall, not parallel.

Old 08-08-18, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
That doesn't necessarily mean the wall is load bearing. I still don't think it is. The back wall might be but not the front wall.

Old 08-08-18, 11:06 AM
J
Good to know! Can you think of any reliable way to check? Do I have to consult a structural engineer or building inspector, or is there a cheaper, DIY way?

Old 08-08-18, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Not without making a hole in the ceiling. Consulting an engineer on this would really be overkill. A 2x2 wall should NEVER be load bearing, so that would be my final answer.

Old 08-08-18, 12:56 PM
J
Ok, thanks again for your input XSleeper. I'm gonna at least have a structure-savvy friend take a look at in before I proceed -- newby jitters!

Old 08-08-18, 05:58 PM
J
PLOT TWIST!

After cutting a few holes (not all shown here) and fishing around, and using my stud finder more, I have come to learn that what I thought were joists were in fact just some kind of superficial support beams - possibly "ceiling strapping" - that were perpendicular to the joists and about 2.5" wide X 3/4" tall; the joists themselves were about 11" tall (I could not ascertain their width), and in fact parallel to the closet wall! So I guess the wall can be safely (partially) taken down.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-18, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, Canada is famous for doing ceilings like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: