Drywall around windows


Old 08-21-18, 06:38 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall around windows

OK guys...so I'm to the point where I'm ready to drywall around my windows and I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. As you'll see from the photos I'm attaching:

1) There are rough studs around the entire window frame;
2) Between the rough studs and the actual window there is a gap of about 1" or so (shown filled in with expandable foam in pic); and
3) The nicer wood that's part of the actual window itself is set back about 1.5 inches from the front edge of the rough studs.

My gut tells me that I should first put a "finished frame" (made out of nicer wood) around the window frame that will essentially cover the gap and cut that wood to 1.5" depth so it matches the depth of the rough studs and then drywall up to the edge of that and finish with a corner bead before nailing the window molding around it later. But I don't know if I'm thinking right on that or not. I've also seen channel trim...I don't know if that's a better option? Any help is appreciated!!

Sorrry...all pics seem to be rotated 90 degrees to the left. I couldn't figure out how to turn them so you'll need to lean left to see them!!


Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-18, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,708
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
There are 2 basic ways to finish it off; cased out with wood or do a drywall return. With a drywall return you install a strip of drywall up to the window jamb and then put the corner bead on the outside corners. Personally I think a cased out window looks nicer.
Old 08-21-18, 07:15 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,221
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
before nailing the window molding around it later.
If you are planning on using casing (window trim) you don't drywall the jamb and you don't use any corner bead. You would drywall the face of the wall only. Then you would add a nice wood extension jamb and attach it to the existing wood of the window. By the time the drywall is on, that measurement will be 2"... maybe even 2 1/8. You cut that on a table saw. Buying a door jamb that matches the wood species is one way to do it. Or buy solid wood.

You want your new jamb to be symmetrical with the inside edge of the existing wood jamb... generally there is a 1/4" step where the two join up. (You dont just nail it to the rough opening.) So let's say your rough opening is 49x49​​​. You measure the inside edge of your existing nice wood jamb and it's 46wx45 1/2h. (For example) You would add 1/2" to those measurements to create the 1/4" step. So the inside measurement of that new jamb would be 46 1/2"w x 46"h. If you are using 3/4" thick material, add 1 1/2" to those measurements to find the outside dimension of that jamb. Cut your pieces and nail it together like a box... then nail it to the window, making sure it's symmetrical. You can shim between the rough opening and jamb as needed to keep it running straight. It's best to to this after the face of the wall has been drywalled. You can insulate between the rough opening and the jamb. After the drywall is painted apply the window casing (trim).
Old 08-21-18, 07:27 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow...this is great information and exactly what I needed!!! Thanks for all of the detail. I see exactly what you are saying! Thanks again!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: