Load bearing wall in closet?

Old 09-03-18, 11:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Load bearing wall in closet?

Hi, thank you in advance for looking at my question.

I'd like to know if the closet wall I'm trying to remove is load bearing.

There is a beam sitting on top of the closet opening and resting on the front corner 2×4.

am I safe to cut it out?

please take a look at attached photos.

​​​​​​​

Old 09-04-18, 12:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The thing that determines if a wall is load bearing it not is what is above the wall. Your first picture is too dark to see what's above the wall. In the last picture I see a joist hanger, which makes me concerned about what is above. But we can't see much else. If the house has been remodeled and there is a roof-over, it becomes very complicated. A well lit picture inside the attic, showing the spot where the header is might help.

Old 09-04-18, 04:15 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Can't determine which direction the ceiling joists are running relative to the long wall of the closet from the pics. In the last pic. it appears to be a joist hanger attached to a board running left/right in the ceiling joist area. Is this board a ceiling joist or a scabbed in piece? What is the other end of the board (sitting in the joist hanger) connected to?

Old 09-04-18, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It looks like a joist has been cut on either side of the duct that is in the back of the closet... meaning the joists run left to right in the picture and rest on the header. But that doesn't necessarily mean the wall is load bearing. We need to know more about those joists and the roof rafters. There is probably a kitchen behind the closet and that duct is probably for a range hood.

in that same picture you can vaguely see another horizontal member in the shadows above the joists in the darkness above that fireblocking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: