Drilled Through Metal Behind Drywall

Old 11-15-18, 11:54 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drilled Through Metal Behind Drywall

I just drilled through a thin metal piece directly behind drywall (trying to hang a mirror). Trying to determine if I did something harmless, or something that needs additional follow-up? Some details below:

After getting out my stud finder, it appears the metal runs vertical, and is about 12" wide. I used a ZicronL50 stud finder. On the other side of this area is my furnace and hot water heater (general area), so hoping this is just a duct? Additionally, the metal seemed thinner and easier to puncture than what I would expect an effort of a pipe to require.

I added a photo of the wall, red dot is where i drilled. Stairs do run above it, so not sure if that has something to do with it.

Attached Images  
Old 11-15-18, 12:20 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Sounds like an air duct. Is there any air being pushed out or sucked in when the unit is running? That would give you your answer. Use a lighter or match if you have to and see if the flame flickers. Some homes have metal studs, so that is another possibility. If the other side of the wall is where your furnace and hot water heater are, can't you just look and see? Or is that area drywalled?

Old 11-15-18, 12:24 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The area is drywalled - the units arent directly behind it. It appears there is air blowing, so hopefully it is a duct like you mentioned. Anything I need to do other than patch it up?

Old 11-15-18, 12:40 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
If it's just tiny hole, then you could just squirt a tiny bit of caulk in there to seal it up. Wouldn't be a big deal if you just left it as-is. I'm sure there are more significant leaks throughout the system that trump that one (unfortunately).

Old 11-15-18, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If just a air duct just put your screw in that you were going to use to hold up mirror. should block off leak enough.

Old 11-16-18, 01:57 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If just a air duct just put your screw in that you were going to use to hold up mirror.
Ideally you want to mount to the studs, no idea what size of mirror you are mounting but mirrors tend to be heavy and hanging on drywall is not a good way to mount!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: