Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Basement Ceiling strapping on floor joist - necessary?

Old 12-08-18, 10:58 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hi!

We are wanting to apply paneling to our basement laundry room ceiling and there is a strip of 3/4" x 4" strapping attached perpendicular to the ceiling joists running along most of the laundry room (maybe to keep the floor joists above aligned, I don't know).

Can I remove that strapping piece so I can panel the ceiling? I can post a pic to help you understand if needed (let me know)

??

Old 12-08-18, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Yes you can remove it. Ceilings are sometimes strapped like that (especially common in Canada i hear) to make it a little easier to create butt joints on the ceiling. A wider surface is more forgiving if the layout is a little off.

Old 12-08-18, 12:22 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
Paneling on a ceiling is not a great plan, it's to thin.
Seams are not going to stay lined up, it will sag between the joist, unless those floor joist are perfectly even there's going to be noticable waves, then there's trying to hide all the seams.
5/8 drywall would work far better, want a real wood look then use T & G 1/2" instead of paneling.

Old 12-08-18, 12:39 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Joecaption!

Thanks for replying! We want something easy and fast that's why we are going with panelling. I was thinking of installing it perpendicular to the joists so that sagging won't be noticable, plus the floor joists are only 12" apart. The panelling I bought has a beadboard appearance almost like wainscoting so I'm thinking it will look nice. It's quite thick as well.

Beadboard I bought...

Last edited by Howitzer; 12-08-18 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-08-18, 08:02 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will look nice. At least for a while. That MDF panel will look nicer longer if you install 1/2" sheetrock first. You don't have to finish the sheetrock joints but it would be best to tape the joints and give it one coat of mud. Then glue and nail the panel sheets to the sheetrock. Just make sure the joints do not align with the sheetrock joints.

Need lighting ? Install wafer LED lights. Super easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: