Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Stud Replacement Termites Big Problem Help!

Old 02-25-19, 08:27 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Background: 1920’s built, while removing plaster and lathe to install drywall directly to ceiling joists, it became apparent there is damage above the doorway area. Outside this doorway is a covered porch area with a ceiling lower than the main ceiling area of the building. The studs you see damaged extend upwards and support a wall. I’m of the persuasion cutting away all damaged wood and sistering new studs would be OK, as long as they extend the same length as the originals. Some people have told me it’s OK to just cut way the old damaged part and have a new piece of wood extend from the damaged part but use a metal fastener. That seems weak? Anyway, I know nothing about framing and very unlikely I will do this myself but need to understand my options before talking to any contractor. Thanks in advance. If you need more detail I am happy to post more pictures.

Attached Images    
Old 02-25-19, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Whenever feasible you want to remove all of the termite damaged board. If that wasn't practical I'd remove and scab on new wood along with adding lumber sistered along the length [or so far past each side of the joint]

Old 02-25-19, 09:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
1. Has the home been treated for termites? Are you certain? Just because you don't seem termites in that area doesn't mean they've moved on to some other part of the house. You don't want to be repairing a house that is still infested.

2. The damage in your photo is obvious but I don't see where it ends. Careful probing and examination will be needed to determine how much to repair or replace. Don't forget to look down. If the tops of the studs are eaten the lower portions as well as the sill plate are likely in bad shape.

3. That looks like balloon framing. Replacing the studs is best but can be difficult. When repairing I like to remove the bad until good wood and cut the good portion square. Install new, tight fitting stud material underneath. Then sister beside the joint like a splint for lateral support of the joint.

Old 02-25-19, 01:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When repairing I like to remove the bad until good wood and cut the good portion square. Install new, tight fitting stud material underneath. Then sister beside the joint like a splint for lateral support of the joint.
That's what I was trying to say but PD worded it a whole lot better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: